Help CCT Falure????????? Advice needed

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jazzscot

Re: Help CCT Falure????????? Advice needed

Post by Jazzscot »

Mine has only done 17000 miles and the inside of the heads look good as new. I have set up the front Cyl timing and fitted the new manual cct. How tight should the chain be between cams Tony?? roughly of course.

Going to do the rear one at some point over the next couple of days as the mrs has me on diy duty.

Front and back shims still seem to be within range. The good thing to come out of this experiance is that I'm learning loads about my bike.
I think I have been a really lucky boy that there has not been any serious damage done.

Cheers Guys
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Rider on a Storm

Post by Rider on a Storm »

Jazzscot wrote:Mine has only done 17000 miles and the inside of the heads look good as new. I have set up the front Cyl timing and fitted the new manual cct. How tight should the chain be between cams Tony?? roughly of course.

Going to do the rear one at some point over the next couple of days as the mrs has me on diy duty.

Front and back shims still seem to be within range. The good thing to come out of this experiance is that I'm learning loads about my bike.
I think I have been a really lucky boy that there has not been any serious damage done.

Cheers Guys
Hi Jazz, how things go mate, did you get it sorted over the weekend :?: :?:
Tray
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jazzscot wrote: How tight should the chain be between cams Tony?? roughly of course.
Jazzscot,
I know my name isn't Tony before anyone says :lol:
Ape say between 1/4" and 3/8" deflection between the cam wheels with the guide removed (beware don't drop the side bolt down inside the cam chain tunnel when removing it :!: )

HTH,

Chris.

PS. Yes you were lucky I'd say. I have over the years on here, heard of a few getting home with a broken spring like yourself, but very few.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Cheers for the info Sirch, funny you should say that about the bolt as I nearly dropped the rear one down the channel but managed to catch it. Where would it of went if it had of gone down just as a matter of intrest? would it go down to the clutch cover area???

Not done anything much Tray. Im going to give her the works while I have her stripped down. Got a new clutch cover to fit so Iv drained the oil and coolant etc.

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Rider on a Storm

Jazzscot wrote:Cheers for the info Sirch, funny you should say that about the bolt as I nearly dropped the rear one down the channel but managed to catch it. Where would it of went if it had of gone down just as a matter of intrest? would it go down to the clutch cover area???

Not done anything much Tray. Im going to give her the works while I have her stripped down. Got a new clutch cover to fit so Iv drained the oil and coolant etc.

Jazz
Rite to Jazz best to get it all done in one hit, have to wait to do mine, I have 2 sets on hold for membes to contact me as they were first to look for them and then one member wanted a pair to fit at tonys workshop n the only one I had were the ones for my bike :crazy: but as tony did give me a lot of help startin out its the least i could do so i sold my set, i'm too easy going to make a millionare status thats me :biggrin, but :wtf: if it helps the guy out i'm ok with it, and the next batch are cookin as they say :clap:
Tray
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Your a good man Tray, you will be rewarded :thumbup: Waiting on new filters and fluids coming but as you say get it all done at once.

I must be getting sad in my old age, when I removed the rear Cyl head I was really impressed by the engineering that has went into the engine. I had to look at the cams and sprockets and chain from all angles and admire whay IS MY Bike. I guess Im in love lol.

:beer: Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Rider on a Storm

Jazzscot wrote:Your a good man Tray, you will be rewarded :thumbup: Waiting on new filters and fluids coming but as you say get it all done at once.

I must be getting sad in my old age, when I removed the rear Cyl head I was really impressed by the engineering that has went into the engine. I had to look at the cams and sprockets and chain from all angles and admire whay IS MY Bike. I guess Im in love lol.

:beer: Jazz
pity feckin honda didnt appeciate what they had done :lol: n realiase they fu***d up with the cct , too busy tryin to fight it out with dukes, n they won only for the ccts but s**t happens and we have to correct it, but at least we admit there is a prob n they wont, "Toyota" Take a bow u stood up to the line and took the flack, now if only them guys @ honda admit they done the same cos, com on guys we all no its a weak link but they wont admit it :redface
Tray
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jazzscot wrote:Cheers for the info Sirch, funny you should say that about the bolt as I nearly dropped the rear one down the channel but managed to catch it. Where would it of went if it had of gone down just as a matter of intrest? would it go down to the clutch cover area???
Jazz
Jazz,
I've not dropped one down there yet to see where it would end up :) but my biggest worry would be how you're going to get it back if you did drop it down the cam chain tunnel,

Chris.
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

sirch345 wrote:
Jazz
Jazz,
I've not dropped one down there yet to see where it would end up :) but my biggest worry would be how you're going to get it back if you did drop it down the cam chain tunnel,

Chris.

Magnet on a telescopic rod :D :D :D :D :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I've dropped one down the front tunnel; luckily it lodged between the chain and lower sprocket, so magnet on a flex shaft fished it out.

If not, you'll have to take off the alternator cover; chances are it'll be magnetically stuck to the alternator rotor.
Unlikely to drop further down due to powerful magnet.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

marlbororman wrote:
sirch345 wrote:
Jazz
Jazz,

Chris.

Magnet on a telescopic rod :D :D :D :D :D
:plainsmile Yes I have one of those too, I have also used it enough time over the years to know that it's not always that straight forward. A dropped nut or bolt in an engine seems to have a mind of it's own I've found, and loves nothing better than rolling under something so you can't retrieve it with the magnet :wink:

Chris.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

my tensioner has just gone as i passed sherburn on the old a1,i've nursed her home slowly(about 6miles) and jumped on here,the advise and tech i've read is fantastic and put my mind at ease...thanks guys,i'll be ordering manuals asap.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tattoo wrote:my tensioner has just gone as i passed sherburn on the old a1
I'll bet you passed more than that once it started rattling......... :Toilet1:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

yeah i did pass some brown stuff but once i realised what had happened it stopped ...been reading about the billit ones someones making..are they available and whats the cost??