Clutch Query

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MarkHunt

Clutch Query

Post by MarkHunt »

Hi Lads,

My pick up point on the clutch is really late in the lever travel and there's no adjustment left on the lever. i.e if I adjust the position of the lever, it get's even later. In the past I've noted this is due to air in the system and bled it through and it's been fine, but this time it doesn't seem to be the case.

The clutch master cylinder is original and so has done 61,000 miles, do you think it's likely to be the clutch master cylinder ?, incidentally the plates are fine.

regards

Marky Mark
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Clutch Query

Post by Pete.L »

The top banjo bolt is a favorite place for air to get trapped. Try cracking open the joint before going for the master cylinder. Another thought, your friction plates might be good but what about the state of the clutch basket? If that's a bit worn you will have a different biting point.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
MarkHunt

Post by MarkHunt »

Hi Pete

Thanks for that tip, I'll try that, I presume by cracking open the joint you mean slackening off the banjo nut so fluid is released ?.

Friction basket / internal clutch is all in good nick, so I think the problem is either master cylinder or slave cylinder related, if I can't bleed it out that is...

Thanks again.

Mark
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There's a couple of things you might try-
The clutch push rod gets bunged up with chain grease, so pull the slave cylinder off and pull out the pushrod and give it a good wipe before putting it back.

Secondly the slave cylinder has a small spring behind it which pushes the piston out if not held in place with a g-clamp or cable tie when it's removed.

This allows air into the system and bleeding it takes forever, don't give up, just keep going and it'll get there in the end.

I assume you're not getting clutch slip under hard acceleration in a high gear?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MarkHunt

Post by MarkHunt »

Hi Tony,

As usual (it must be boring for you), you're right in that the piston pushed out when I removed the clutch cover to clean round the gearbox sprocket area and re-route a new sidestand cut out switch (old one was playing up) and I realised this introduced alot of air into the system, but reckon I just need to bleed it more than I already have.
No clutch slip at high speed / revs so think air in system is the culprit, I was just wondering wether the spring in the clutch master cylinder might be getting past its best after mileage and age of bike..

regards

Mark
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

When bleeding the clutch you need to fill little and often the reservoir, if you don't it empties allowing air to enter the system. If you've got it apart it's worth checking the slave seal as this can fail, also the slave cylinder can get grit in it causing scratches to slowly leak. (wet & dry and polish up to get a tight seal or replace - clutch slave is the same on the Blackbird, VFR800).
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
headgear

Post by headgear »

I would also recommend that the can of fluid be allowed to stand overnight to allow any air bubbles caused from accidental shaking during transportation to float to the top,thereby eliminating any chance of introducing air into the system yourself.
MarkHunt

Post by MarkHunt »

Hi Guys,

Just a quickie email to say thanks to everyone that has replied to my query, I'm off to the garage armed with lots of clutch fluid and a smidge of patience..

All the best

Marky Mark
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i must say 61k on the original plates is pretty impressive :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
MarkHunt

Post by MarkHunt »

Hi Benny,

Well, that's no strictly true on my part because my 1st engine expired at 60K (as Tony will know because he has it), but I changed the plates on that one at 50K to heavier duty ones prior to taking the VTR to Jerez on a three day track day jaunt , but they were in good nick and as Tony will testify, the engine inners weren't half bad for the mileage. (apart from the ill front pot that is), my bike now has a donor engine (Brought from Timbo) and has just tripped 61K and hopefully they'll be more to come as I've owned it since new (1997) and just can't part with the old bird.

Marky Mark