anyone fancy joining me in giving up smoking??

General Biker Banter
Phil-VTwin

Re: anyone fancy joining me in giving up smoking??

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Well done :clap: the first few days are the worst but i found that keeping the hands busy helps a great deal :)

Only downside i found was that food tasted so much better so i ate more and gained loads of weight!!
Ride Safe
Phil
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

No problem, been there twice before and its always something stressful that starts you off again and yes, currently smoking again!!!
Ride Safe
Phil
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Kaz its a long road but it does get easier. I stopped over two years ago (smoked for 28 years). I can understand your reasons for stopping both ciggies and booze but it may be tougher! I found a brick wall at the 2 month point that took me two separate attempts to climb. Enjoy the taste of food as that will be back and try to walk the dog or do something that will help to fight the weight gain. I weigh 1 stone more all the time and am addicted to red wine :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Come on Kaz you can do it. It will add time to your life so think of the family :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
steveb

Post by steveb »

Well done Kaz..........you are definately makeing the right decision.

I gave up on May 3rd 2006 and haven't smoked since - 15 years of smoking and I was getting through 30 a day when I stopped.

here are the milestones,

3 days - gets easier

3 weeks - cracked it

3 months - body is ridding itself of all the crap you get in the lungs from smoking

No matter what happens hang in there and don't smoke, your Grandson needs you around as long as you can be.............good decision, good luck.
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

VERY BEST OF LUCK KAZ........it's all been said above, Except
for I'll join you .I'm a none smoker but could do with losing the weight
of a small moped :D , so the diet starts here:thumbup:
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Good luck Kaz! Hope it works out :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
tattie

Post by tattie »

Good luck Kaz,
I used to smoke 20 plus years ago and along came a bonnie lassie, she persuaded me it was not a good idea.
like Beamish said walk the dog, and keep the mind occupied doing other more important things.

cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

HI MY NAMES PETE, AND I'M A SMOKEAHOLIC!
It's been 11 months, 2 weeks and 4 days since my last rollie and I still miss it. :(

Good on ya Kaz! I went cold turkey at the end of last Feb. Little Bro told me he had quit so I thought why can't I. It only takes a week to clear the nicotine cravings out of your body...then it's the hard bit, beating the psychological cravings :evil: Keep up the good work, use the thoughts of your grand-kids or whatever you need, you know it makes sense :wink:
I just want to be there for my family when I get old and not be a burden for them. That's what I used, and I still do. Good Luck! :thumbup:
I'm Still on the booze though, got to have some vices eh?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
grinner

Post by grinner »

Giving up smoking's easy... I do it all the time!
I find the worst bit is two weeks to the day after. Gets me every time.

I will give up again, properly, one day. I refuse to let the kids see me smoke.

Good on you though, keep it up.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

I gave up last year and I have to say it was the second easiest thing I ever did. The easiest thing I ever did was starting back up about 2 months later. It dosnt take much to get back on them.
Rich.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good luck Kaz in giving up smoking and the booze, also good luck to ChrisC with your life changing healthier eating plan.

I had to spend a few unexpected days in Hospital a while back. I was in the Admissions ward with both male and female patients. I could not believe the number of patients in there who had smoking related illnesses. Some of them that bad were climbing the walls (figuratively speaking before anyone asks) at night with pain :!:

Well done Pete, Allan and Steveb :thumbup: also Jim well done too, but go easy on the alcohol :wink:

Chris.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Just try to remind yourelf its not a treat! Every day you beat the weed is giving your body a treat. Well done so far.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I had started smoking again after an op on my foot last year meant I couldn't go to the gym. I got into the habit of opening a bottle of wine most nights and eating the "wrong" things - nothing ridiculous but lots of meat, sausage sandwiches etc. Then felt too fat and unfit to go to the gym anyway. However, something happened NYE which snapped me out of my laziness so I rejoined the gym, stopped smoking, stopped drinking (except if I go to something special) and cut out fatty foods and have porridge for breakfast (wonder food that) and bananas/cereal for snacks instead of toast etc.

Feel bloody great again, and I know those leathers won't have shrunk in the wardrobe over winter!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

VTR1000KAZ wrote:well done Paul !!!!!!! :clap:
yeah.. we aslo got into the habit of opening a bottle most nights ( when Pete is on day shift).. when he's on lates.. it doesn't bother me and i rarely drink anything thru the week.
I'm going to abstain this weekend too hopefully ( unless i receive a bottle of champers for valentines day .. or he was quizzing about Greek restaurants the other day.. so wether it's for valentines or for my birthday in march i don't know)
So yeah.. if it's something special.. then i'll have a drink... but only a couple of glasses and not a couple of bottles !lol :lol:
Good on yer, Kaz.

Then you can drive him home.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Beamish wrote:Just try to remind yourelf its not a treat! Every day you beat the weed is giving your body a treat. Well done so far.
Kaz, what Beamish says here is soooooo true. I feel so much better for not smoking, nearly four years on it is the best decision I've ever made.

Keep strong, you are stronger than cigarettes, it IS worth it - you'll see.
Happy ridin'
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's