Are you sure your bike is insured?

General Bike chat
phild

Are you sure your bike is insured?

Post by phild »

Hello everyone,

just had a bit of a shock from my insurance company,(Bennetts). Rang them to add another bike ,which is not taxed or mot'd yet but on SORN,
to my multi bike policy and found out that they do not cover bikes on SORN. Does everyone know this OR is it just me having a senior moment.
My Firestorm has been tucked up for nearly 2 years on SORN and I have just assumed it was covered ? So if its not taxed its not covered.
Anyone recommend a company that will cover your bikes when laid up. I seem to remember years ago a policy called 'workshop cover'

Cheers Phil :confused
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Re: Are you sure your bike is insured?

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

Try Carole Nash they might do it. I would never use Bennets again after being screwed by them with admin charges from changing bikes.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good post Phil.

I had no idea that was the case :thumbdown:

Chris.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

OOooooooohhh.
Ducati '916' tax runs out on 31st of month so I have just put it on SORN from 1st Feb. Will check this out!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the heads up. :eek2
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Good post! This is crazy, you dont ride your bike and the insurance decides its at greater risk? WTF. Glad you brought the subject to our attention buddy :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
phild

Post by phild »

Will be interested to hear your response LSM .
I assume this is not exclusive to Bennetts and other insurance companies are similar?
When I queried this with Bennetts they said,I was asked if all the bikes on the policy where taxed and mot'd when I took it out.
This is not true and in my ignorance each year I just renewed the bikes by reg no and just kept one on the road.
Its a bit scarey as one on sorn is a Hailwood 900 and is worth a few quid!!

Phil..
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

So they took your money each year Phil, and then they don't cover you? WTF 8O
Better tell them you want a refund for miss selling their services :evil:
Problem is, I'm not surprised at this in the slightest. As far as insurances companies are concerned I wouldn't trust any of them further than I could chuck em.
Why doesn't one of them step forward offering good service and after care and actually do it. They would make a killing

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
phild

Post by phild »

Now got insurance sorted with Carole Nash. £300 for 5 bikes

To have bikes covered when laid up they must be registered 1982 or before .
If you want to bring them out for the summer its just a phone call to add to cover.

All other bikes must be taxed and MOT'd to be covered. So if you have a few bikes and they are not all on the road check your policy?

Hope this is usefull guys. Phil
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I just checked with my insurer (Carole Nash) and they say the bike is insured if on SORN, but if no current MOT it would be subject to a ten percent reduction in payout.
My bikes always have a current MOT so no problem here.
As an aside, I have a multi bike policy with CN and for four bikes this coming year it'll be 400ukp fully comp with two years NCB only. Not bad I thought!!!!!
phild

Post by phild »

LSM, checked my policy with CN and this is what they said.

"if you are insured with Red Star and you have your bike on sorn but no mot they will reduce the cover by 10% in event of a claim.
if however you are insured with Group Ama and your bike is on sorn with no mot you are not covered." so worth checking who insured with? its not down to the broker.

I rang Devitt and they said if insured with NIG and bike is on comp cover but you have it on sorn they then only offer TPT cover, which sounds fair enough but would they tell you if you dont ask? after you have coughed up for comp.

Its all very confusing but I would suggest to anyone interested if yor bikes are not all taxed and mot all the time ring up and get clarification in writing.
phild

Post by phild »

glad info was usefull,
would appreciate other peoples findings on this as to be honest I dont think half the people at the insurance companies know whats what either.
Would be interested to hear what others dig up incase i've been given duff info.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Yeah, with Red Star so OK for me!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: