Can you find the exact model of this bike??

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Can you find the exact model of this bike??

Post by sirch345 »

I'm trying to find out which make and model this bike is. A bit before most of us if not all I know, and that's including me :plainsmile

It belonged to a very good friends Dad, but his Dad died when he was very young so he never had the chance to ask him.

So if any of you get bored over Christmas, perhaps you can have a little search on Google for me. I'm thinking the more that look the better :thumbup:

I have spent a fair amount of time looking myself, but so far no luck.

Cheers,

Chris.

VTR Marmite

Re: Can you find the exact model of this bike??

Post by VTR Marmite »

I may be wrong, but it looks like a BSA M21, they were used a lot in WWII by the allies apparently.
If I could figure out how to add pictures I would show you one.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Could be the M20

I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

that looks like a BSA 493cc sloper, launched in 1927 the engine was inclined forward & it had 2 frame down tubes at the front, the M20,M21 had single down tube & verticle engine.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sloper - produced until 1935 - The one in the original picture is presumably wartime hence the headlight

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

thats the one wicky :thumbup:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Yep looks like you could be right, difficult to tell from the picture but could well have two downtubes. Ive emailed the piccy to my old man as he knows a lot about early bikes. No doubt he will confirm your suggestion.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Mmmmmm....

Problem is the sloper has twin fishtail exhaust header pipes

This is more the beast 1930 BSA 250cc OHV Model B30-4 2.49 H.P.Over head valve single cylinder

http://www.roncobb.com/BSA-B30-4-250.html

BINGO (this link has pictures of all 1930s BSAs http://home.planet.nl/~leonhop3/bsa-30_e.html You could email the Leon the BSA Grog, the pic and see if he can help tighten up IDing the bike leon.hoppenbrouwers at planet.nl

http://home.planet.nl/~leonhop3/index_en.htm

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

WOW I'm impressed :clap: That's a much better response than I had expected, well done guys :thumbup:
VTRbob wrote:that looks like a BSA 493cc sloper, launched in 1927 the engine was inclined forward & it had 2 frame down tubes at the front, the M20,M21 had single down tube & verticle engine.
I'm inclined to think the same as Bob here (although not the best of photo I know, even when played about in photo shop), that the frame has 2 frame down tubes at the front (duplex frame)

Cheers for the suggestion Wicky about emailing that guy Leon. I won't do that yet, I'll see how things go here first, but that is a good idea.

Thanks Jim (Beamish) for asking your Dad :)

The Sloper is the closest I've seen yet. The only things I can see from the pic of the Sloper that are different are the forks appeared to have a small brace (see arrow in pic below on forks) whereas the bike in the original pic doesn't look like it has, also the cylinderhead arangement looks different IMHO (see arrow at cylinderhead in pic below).

Chris.
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

wicky that 250 has the mag in front of the engine, the original pic has it behind the motor like the sloper has, the sloper is a ohv motor with a single header pipe.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

it looks to have a finned head which the sloper don't, unless they put different motors in,or its been mixed & matched,a early streetfighter 8O :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Have you a higher res scan so I can enhance it in Photoshop spaderunner at mac.com

So what do we have - Single exhaust and header - unbraced front fork - twin spar front frame? + rearsets :biggrin

the nearest I can see sloper wise is the early 1930 S30-9 - Engine fits the bill + ss exhaust- though the footplates are removed and unbraced forks fitted

Assuming the pic is taken in wartime =>1939 then it certainly could have been modded and be a bit of of a bitsa

VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

thats got a finned head & the gap between head & tank looks right,tank badges look right, and someones done handle bar conversion :thumbup: good find wicky :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

This is getting interesting :D Well done Wicky, a good find :thumbup:

I've now emailed Wicky the original pic in the highest res I have. If anyone else wants a copy just let me know.

Many thanks guys for all your help :thumbup:

Cheers,

Chris.