Handling issues - doesn't want to turn in....

General Biker Banter
cliveyandrews

Handling issues - doesn't want to turn in....

Post by cliveyandrews »

Any thoughts guys - bought a 'Storm for my girlfriend - and it just don't wanna turn in like mine does - the back tyre is badly squared (so is mine!) - but it's a fight to get it to turn - and it just wants to sit back upright....

hmmmm....

The forks have been dropped through the yokes, but everything else seems bang on - should I be looking at the head bearings you reckon....?

The steering action does seem a bit tight to me, but evrtything else is straight - and it tracks great in a straight line. Can you advise factory settings for fork leg drops, damp/rebound etc so I can set back to factory - then start worrying....

Cheers guys...........
Last edited by cliveyandrews on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

goody

Re: Handling issues - doesn't want to turm in....

Post by goody »

Check the head bearings, too tight and they cause the symptoms you describe. They may have been overtightened to disguise being worn. Becomes less obvious the faster you go. (I'm also guessing you mean the yokes have been dropped down the forks, which should make it turn a bit quicker)
steveb

Re: Handling issues - doesn't want to turn in....

Post by steveb »

I used my front tyre right down to the bear minimum this summer and as soon as I had a new one fitted the bike just seemed to be on rails into the corner's.

I hadn't noticed that it had become that difficult but once I rode out of the garage, even when scrubbing in, it was an amazing difference.

Check front tyre pressure and tread depth and squaring off.
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
-------------------------------------------------
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

Cheers guys - I suspect the head bearings - I shredded my rear totally square and it's nowhere near like Paulines....

:eek2

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

C/A,
As already said tyres and over tightened or worn head bearings do make a difference IMO. I would also check wheel bearings, also worth carrying out the maintenance on the swing arm etc in this link below so it's safe for your girl:-

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=11809

Chris.
steveb wrote:I used my front tyre right down to the bear minimum this summer and as soon as I had a new one fitted the bike just seemed to be on rails into the corner's.

I hadn't noticed that it had become that difficult but once I rode out of the garage, even when scrubbing in, it was an amazing difference.

Check front tyre pressure and tread depth and squaring off.
Tyre pressures (another good point) are important too so worth checking.

Steve,
That's how most people find new tyres I think, well I know I do :D
I think the reason you don't notice it getting worse (when the tread is getting really low) is because you are (without realising it) adjusting yourself to the tyre as it wears.

It's a lovely surprise though when you have two new tyres fitted :thumbup:

Chris.