Standard baffles-just drilled or out altogether?

General Bike chat
bikerpiker

Re: Standard baffles-just drilled or out altogether?

Post by bikerpiker »

Mark...it was hardly worth while gettin the Black n Decker oot for that :!: ....get the 12mm drill bit oot, 8 holes that size is the law :biggrin :lol:

Then when those sound too quiet , rip the baffle oot completely :!: Agree with you though ,any amount of holes is better than none ,the standard system is waaaay to quiet :!:
Stevie
mwross1964

Post by mwross1964 »

lol
:wink:
anything with wheels or tits is gonna cost ya money.
but who needs money
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

:D

That exactly why I want to drill them :P

Big holes sound better :lol:
Where is that SDS core drill? :P

Thanks for the input :)
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

From Friday I'll have a 2 into 1 exhaust with a carbon akrapovic race can, so hopefully there'll be a LOT more noise. Also dyno day on tuesday next week!!
Chris.
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Nice one Jonesy look forward to the you tube vid!!! Btw, eventually got the grab rail fitted! :beer: :beer:
geodude

Post by geodude »

I picked up a set of standard cans on ebay for £56 inc delivery!! They should arrive tomorrow at which point i'll be getting the drill out again. Currently I only have drilled 2 x 13mm holes in.

:mrgreen:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
JIMMYJAMES

Post by JIMMYJAMES »

Could i do this to my Microns? They are the fully road legal ones with fixed baffles and i cant see any way of getting it apart besides using a grinder on it. I can get the end cap off by removing the allen screws but the baffle is definatly welded in solid.
Red (the fastest colour) 98 Storm, APE CCT's ART Titanium high level cans, Airblade smoked double bubble screen and the shopping list is still growing!
geodude

Post by geodude »

Ok, so I received the spare stock exhausts and am now starting to mess with the fitted ones. Originally I had 2 x 10mm holes in each (not 13mm as first thought)

I now have 3 x 13mm in each and it sounds ok. I feel the drill will definitely be out again soon :)

“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

JIMMYJAMES wrote:Could i do this to my Microns? They are the fully road legal ones with fixed baffles and i cant see any way of getting it apart besides using a grinder on it. I can get the end cap off by removing the allen screws but the baffle is definatly welded in solid.
can you not just snap the weld on the baffle??
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

Been a while since I logged on :S

Still got the Firestorm (obviously :P)...

I have drilled 8 8mm holes in each of the exhausts :)

It sounds soooo much better now :)

Its got a nice gentle rumble now, but might enlarge the holes a bit more yet...

8 8mm holes isnt that loud, can still hear the engine whining (and the camchain rattling slightly, need to tighten the tensioners a tad :) )

I might just rip the baffle out completely...just a little worried that it will be too loud...

Anyone got a decent video or recording of it? Only ones on youtube are poor quality...

Mind you, my Vigor 650 had a sports pipe with a removable baffle, and with the baffle in, my dad could hear me accelerate up hills a mile away :S

Might make up a pair of plates just incase there are probs with the MOT (having extra holes drilled)

Probably a stupid question to ask, but has anyone who has done a full bafflectomy regretted it and gone back to drilled pipes?

P.S. Just so everyone knows, I do like a nice sounding bike thats got a nice bark to it and a bit of noise....I just dont like drawing "certain" attention to myself :P...

EDIT: Just had a thought....
One reason I drilled the plate is to lean my bike out a bit as it ran a bit too rich...

If I do a full bafflectomy, will I need to re-jet? :S

Couldnt see an answer to the question so sorry if its already been answered...
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I knocked the baffle out completely ,(pics/thread on the forum)and certainly didn't seem too loud ,also i never needed to re-jet, my bike ran fine without a problem.

Fuel economy seemed better ,managing 46mpg on a few occasions ,i also made up blanking plates for MOT time ,but tbh ,i don't think it would've been a problem without them fitted .
Stevie
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have the baffles knocked out of mine as well, sound is great, but still quieter than the Microns I had before [which I thought were too loud, and brought the wrong type of attention].

On Jetting, I had already fitted a DynoJet kit for the Microns, and I run the same set up with standard cans and these debaffled ones, if anything I think it runs slightly cleaner with the std cans in that it is less prone to cough stalling, but I dont change the jetting.

MOT: , for 3 years I always re fitted the std cans "just in case" .......... but got lazy 2 years ago, and no problems, my MOT people are fine with the loud ones
AMcQ
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

I might go and finish job, by performing the bafflectomy...

Is the plate thats removed (the one that I have drilled holes in), mild or stainless steel?

If its mild steel I will mig weld 2 tags on it just incase there is a prob for the MOT.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

IgorVigor wrote:I might go and finish job, by performing the bafflectomy...

Is the plate thats removed (the one that I have drilled holes in), mild or stainless steel?

If its mild steel I will mig weld 2 tags on it just incase there is a prob for the MOT.

The part which the holes are drilled in ,which i then chisselled out and then cleaned up the end-hole with a dremmel ,was in a pretty bad shape when i removed mine ,as i cut/chisseled from hole to hole. Theres no way i'd have been able to re-use it.

I found it just as easy making a wee round plate with a tang bent over for fixing ,and a small piece of tubing around an inch long ,welded to the plate to look like the end of a baffle .

Stevie
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

I have finished the job :)

Damn it sounds good after the bafflectomy :D

Mind you, the sound on the overrun is addictive :P

Glad I did it :D

Did have some trouble with the baffle tubes though :S

got them freed by hitting them with a hammer, but the weld broke so couldn't get it out :(
ended up enlarging the hole it fitted in with a rod and hammer until it would pull out...

Don't know if it makes a difference enlarging that hole?
All I know is my bike finally sounds like its meant too :P