Names for Oct 4th ride out

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

jedi

Names for Oct 4th ride out

Post by jedi »

Hope the weather is good Sunday, Can we have a list of names of who's going, what time we are leaving and the route please. I believe we are leaving from South Woodham Ferrrers Petrol garage. Can't wait to meet you all and having a good day out :biggrin :biggrin My e-mail address is lexuss@tesco.net just incase the forum goes down.
goody

Re: Names for Oct 4th ride out

Post by goody »

Have fun! I can't make it. Out playing in the dirt!
Ride careful I've found it's easy to get a bit carried away when riding in a group.
Remember to take some pics.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

BBC website prophesies a sunny weekend :-)

From the previous thread
10.00am Asda Car park South Woodham Ferrers. From there do the Burnham bends, breakfast at the Dairy cafe Burnham (bikers meet) then of through Southminster to Bradwell > Latchingdon > Maldon > Tolleshunt D'arcy > Tollesbury > Birch Reservoir > Abberton > (West) Mersea Island
Asda meetup map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&saf ... 248&li=lmd

Not sure what time we'll leave as we'll have to make sure everyone arrives before heading orff - say 10.30 - 45

If the tide is up (at 1pm) across the strood to Mersea then we can always stop at the Peldon Rose

Peldon Rose > http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&saf ... 966&li=lmd

Best we all swap mobile numbers beforehand

John <spaderunner at mac.com>
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'll be there.

No polishing, now!

Just run what ya brung.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jedi

Post by jedi »

Wicky wrote:BBC website prophesies a sunny weekend :-)

From the previous thread
10.00am Asda Car park South Woodham Ferrers. From there do the Burnham bends, breakfast at the Dairy cafe Burnham (bikers meet) then of through Southminster to Bradwell > Latchingdon > Maldon > Tolleshunt D'arcy > Tollesbury > Birch Reservoir > Abberton > (West) Mersea Island
Asda meetup map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&saf ... 248&li=lmd

Not sure what time we'll leave as we'll have to make sure everyone arrives before heading orff - say 10.30 - 45

If the tide is up (at 1pm) across the strood to Mersea then we can always stop at the Peldon Rose

Peldon Rose > http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&saf ... 966&li=lmd

Best we all swap mobile numbers beforehand

John <spaderunner at mac.com>
Well done John, bloody good route and 10.30 sounds fine to me.Can you take the lead.
Many thanks
Jed :clap:
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

i read on a rideout forum for this neck of the woods a group ride out method so no one gets lost..
never tried it so cant vouch for how it works in practice but it reads ok..
The Drop off system will be explained to all riders in a briefing at the start of the ride, The group will have a designated 'Ride Leader' and a 'Tail End Charlie'. The positions of these two riders will not change throughout the run.
Everyone must be able to identify these two riders.

When the Ride Leader makes a direction change at a junction or roundabout the new direction of travel should be marked by the rider directly behind the ride leader, (The Marker). To do this, the Marker should pull in at the side of the road, in a safe place where he/she will be visible to the rest of the riders, so the direction can be indicated to the rest of the riders behind by means of pointing/indicating

It is most important that the marker stops in a position where :-
• It is safe to do so.
• They do not put themselves at any risk.
• The rest of the ride can see them clearly as they approach the direction change.

The Marker
Should maintain that position until he/she can rejoin the rear of the section either in front or behind ‘Tail End Charlie’.

‘Tail End Charlie’ will always try to give sufficient space for the marker to re-join the ride ahead of him, but if this is not possible the Marker should allow tail end charlie to pass, then overtake when a suitable opportunity presents it’s self.

Remember, if you are riding along and the bike in front of you stops to mark a junction, odds are, that you are now directly behind the ride leader. YOU will have to stop to mark the next junction.

It could happen that number two rider forgets to mark a direction change or perhaps is riding a trike and thinks that stopping is unsafe, whatever the reason, If this happens the next rider (Number three) should take it upon himself to drop off and mark the direction change to prevent the chain from breaking.

Do Note
It is always better to mark all direction changes rather than assume that the route is so obvious it is not worth doing.

If it is impossible to mark a direction change because of the danger to the Marker or other road users it is better that the direction change goes unmarked. Sometimes the Marker can park up safely a short distance away and return to the direction change on foot to direct followers.

Any riders wishing to leave the group or who have a breakdown should stop and inform ‘Tail End Charlie’ who will note the situation and act accordingly. If this is not possible then a text message should be sent to either the ride leader or Tail end Charlie at the earliest opportunuity.

Sometimes, the group may sometimes become very 'strung out', causing anxiety to some riders.
Usually the Ride Leader will be aware of this and will stop in a safe place, in order to allow the group to reform before continuing.

Overtaking is permitted but its worth remembering that once the ride leader is directly ahead of you, it means YOU are marking the next direction change!
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I will be round yours early Jed to drive down to SWFerres, looking forward to it.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Says the man with the newly powder coated wheels!

*dashes off to finish respraying a glossy coat of R157*
tony.mon wrote:I'll be there.

No polishing, now!

Just run what ya brung.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

chuxsta wrote:

It could happen that number two rider forgets to mark a direction change or perhaps is riding a trike and thinks that stopping is unsafe, whatever the reason, If this happens the next rider (Number three) should take it upon himself to drop off and mark the direction change to prevent the chain from breaking.

Bloody Hell!

I'm not going number three, it's got new sprockets and it's only done five thou or so!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

And we're back - All went to plan, no one got lost. Along the way from SWF>Burnham>Bradwell>Mersea we found plenty of twisties, breakfast, horses!, Tony impersonating a traffic cop, a high tide all topped off with Sunday Lunch - A great day out in the sunshine accompanied by the sound of unbaffled thunder.

bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Good pics guys 8)some nice bikes as well ......dunno aboot the male bonding pic though 8O :lol:

Hows aboot some names, so we can see who's who :!:
Stevie
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

A nice brace of Storms. Good pictures guys.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Some more pictures from Storm Day 09

Thanks guys for a great day out, nice to meet you all and look forward to another meeting and great days out in the future

Was at work so could not cut this down, so you have to wait for the bikes for a few seconds or maybe they were all slow riders, :lol:

Meeting Point South Woodham Ferres, ASDA, 10am

First stop of the day, Breakfast at Burnham on Crouch,

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

left to right; bazza696 (Q> what's red and gold A> A goldfish in a blender ), jedi (sleek silver), tony.mon (rattly banana), storminateacup (sensible black), and red must be the fastest color cos I was too quick for the camera.
Last edited by Wicky on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Wow, this could be the first documented southern storm meet. :eek2
Rich.