HID HELP

General Bike chat
seb421

HID HELP

Post by seb421 »

Just Wired up the HID Uunit MY GOD ITS LIKE SUNLIGHT FROM THE BIKE!

Problem i have tho is that i wired it to test at first with red and black short wires connected to the batt + and -

is there any where in the front of the storm i can pick this + and - up from?

im clueless with electrics and was amazed i evan managed to get the thing to light up in the first place!

a quick reply would be good guys as i need sleep working tonight :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

this is that i got
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
seb421

Re: HID HELP

Post by seb421 »

i will be down in the garage using a laptop, ifyou have msn and you can help please contact me though that seb421@hotmail.co.uk

thanks seb.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Seb, according to the instruction they say it's a plug and play item, so you don't need an independant hot live + positive feed. Surely you need to be connecting the wires into the original headlamp bulb connector, so that you can use the dip and main beam facility.

I've just had another read, that's what it says in the instructions.

Chris.
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

sirch345 wrote:Seb, according to the instruction they say it's a plug and play item, so you don't need an independant hot live + positive feed. Surely you need to be connecting the wires into the original headlamp bulb connector, so that you can use the dip and main beam facility.

Chris.
Thats what I would do.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

got it sorted guys thanks, thanks timbo yeh i managed finally wire it up, problem i was having was the length of the wires, finaly sorted it, looks amazing, they cant say the didn't see me coming now!!

ill get some pics up soon / tomorrow
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Tim, so the instructions are wrong eh :whatever :lol:

Seb, glad too hear you got it fixed :thumbup:
Look forward too seeing the beam pattern against a wall pic's :)

Chris.

PS. Seb I posted some info for you here:- http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14675
mwad

Post by mwad »

I am interested to see the results too............
VTR's are for life, not just for Christmas
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Timbo wrote:I said.
Timbo wrote:
(well it did on the one i had anyway, but cant imagine they are much different).
Chris, i didnt read the link Seb posted, i said it was how it was on mine, i guess it wasnt the same sort.
The main thing is he got it sorted Tim eh :thumbup:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

seb421 wrote:
ill get some pics up soon / tomorrow

Seb Any photos or feed back ?

Having ridden mine at night for the first time in a long time, and running behind an R1, I realised how bad the std firestom headlight is!

as long as I stayed close to him, I could use his lights to show me where we were going, but in comparison the weak yellow light from mine felt like I only had sidelights on.
So when The r1 overtook a car, and I waited my turn, I was struggling to catch him back up, as I couldnt see where the road was going.

Looks like its time to spend more money!! and blame this Forum.
Since I joined I have now bought a belly pan, an R6 R/R, Tapered head bearings, a new seat, and now headlights!. and have been contimplating the manual CCT's, but have decided to do the "stopper" mod..

please stop making me want to spend money,
AMcQ
seb421

Post by seb421 »

the lights are amazing!

i was along side a truck other night on the motorway and mine was a lot brighter than his! I don't think he could believe it was a bike, my camera is dead at the moment wen i get it charged i will take pics.

i work nights and ride a lot in the dark so the lights really help, the standard one is pants but really happy with the HID

ill try get some pics over the weekend
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Mine flew through mate with a HID dipped and a HID main beam. All depends on the tester to be honest
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

removed mine as well, had to adjust low so as not to blind oncoming drivers and main beam was crap!. yes they are very efficient and bright, but the light scatter is horrendous hence they work well in projector lamps, a focused beam. now i have a european lamp unit with a beam cutter, standard bulb but the reflector is of a better design, going to eventually modify with a projector lamp.
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

NO take it out before someone kills you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had one of these kits in my storm for a while and yes they do produce a lot of light but the control of the light is really bad. The only way to have a hid is to use a lamp that was intended for hid. The storm reflector was made to use a halogen bulb which are made in a very precise way which allows the reflector to send the light in the correct direction (the beam pattern). When a hid bulb is fitted the reflector can no longer control the light and the result is glare. When i had mine fitted i had a very near miss with a driver that i dazzled one night that nearly resulted in a serious accident. After that i decided to find a better way of doing a conversion and that way is a retro fit using a bi-xenon projector unit from a car. By doing this you get the power of a hid and a perfect cut off with no glare to oncoming drivers. It's a pain in the butt to do but the results are far better and safer than these kits. Also before anyone ask's my bike passed the mot with the old kit in so saying that they are ok because they pass an mot is wrong.

I will post some beam pattern shot's up of mine next time i am out at night to give you an idea of what i mean.

:D
seb421

Post by seb421 »

stormingjoe wrote:the light scatter is horrendous hence they work well in projector lamps, a focused beam.
personal i found it to be fine and scatters great, i have not had one person flash at me in anger or anything like that or them under the assumption i have full beam on etc.

with the kit fitted its just as a normal bulb's scatter but brighter and goes further you can see it points more to the left as the original bulb does as im sure all UK bike will do

at 50 quid I don't think the kit is something to be sniffed at deffo the best thing I have bought for the bike, my dads car has those projector hid lights fitted from the factory and he was realy impressed with the kit on my bike, he also had no complaint's when he was riding in front of me on the motorway on his blade last weekend.

that SMD LED ive fitted in the side light is bright too! so bright it casts a small beam and i just use that in the day now and not the HID, i ordered a blue SMD LED but they sent white, kinda clad they did as it gives the old bill one less thing to hassle me for and no matter how hard i try to not be arrogant and short with the police it always happens, so guess the white SMD LED mistake is a blessing
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14