Right then...plates...

General Bike chat
Jbrebel

Right then...plates...

Post by Jbrebel »

Had a slight f#ck up the other week...:thumbdown:

Need a new "show" plate...

No new legislation has come in place :mad2 Anyone no the best place to get a slighty smaller plate?

Ta guys and girls :)
SP1's rock!
Jbrebel

Re: Right then...plates...

Post by Jbrebel »

Thanks Tim.

I'll explain why it broke at a latter point... :Richard:
SP1's rock!
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

Wheelie????? :Oops:

Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

Timbo wrote:I used to use A1 Plates, tip top service but they kept me well informed that they had to stop making them. Only place i know of is ebay now mate.

Ebay Clickerooni

p.s. Is it worth it now? When i got pulled the other week, he checked my plate and even made me clean off a small smudge of chainlube on the plate. If it had been illegal i would have been ticketed for it, dont think i will bother from now on.

know what your saying matey, the SP came with a standard size plate on it and i thought thats got to come off along with the indicators, but aint had time over the last few weeks to sort it and to be fair think the bike looks fine as it is, and gives the rossers one less excuse to pull me! :Richard: oh sorry Hippo'stable didnt know these cans came with baffles :angel: :twisted:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Jim67 wrote:Wheelie????? :Oops:

Jim.
:lol: Wheellie a Buell 8O I know some that do-but a new belt is £160+ 8O

In the words of Clive Dunn "They don't like it up em' sir!" :lol:

No, I had a "sleeping bag, visor bag, roll mat interface..." the bloody lot worked loose on the way up to Scarborough the other week and wrecked the plate/bracket :Richard: totally my fault. It obviously wasn’t secure. The back seat is about as big as a 1st class stamp too which doesn’t help. Ambitious but stupid :?

As regards the plate-I don't go too small. Not bothered about the cops. I've not had a prob in 13 years. All the font/lettering is standard-but the plate is a "bit" smaller than standard. Big (or sandwich board) style plates on the Buell don't go I'm afraid...but I undersand peoples point of view on these things :D but I don't care :biggrin
SP1's rock!
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

I would'nt bother with a smaller one i got pulled for mine on the Cat&Fiddle a couple of weeks ago £60 fine. Not changing it though lost enough top end speed when i changed the gearing so not gonna put a windsail on the back and lose more lol :lol:
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Fair enough Steve...

Don't do the Fiddle anymore though :biggrin

Waste of space-as is Squires imo-£1+ for a coffee? WTF?

I like "quieter" climbs now :)
SP1's rock!
lee67

Post by lee67 »

my rebuilt sv failed its mot/cat c check tother week..on u guessed it, number plate( same mot place for yrs with smaller plates)...mine failed cos i have a suzuki symbol on the left margin...plates now HAVE to be 9x7 standard size, with proper font, postcode at bottom and no borders allowed only the gb flag wtf''...anyways he passed it and told me to change it once home.....have i feck is my next answer lol...u have been warned tho john :thumbup:
lee67

Post by lee67 »

oh and i forgot to add, this is where i get mine now... http://www.myshowplates.com
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Cheers Lee-I'll keep it in mind :wink:

How's you anyway? More important than a plate :)
SP1's rock!
lee67

Post by lee67 »

doing ok john, back riding bike and just started to ride a mtb again alltho consultant and physio advised against it...knee still looks a mess, but im having private physio which is helping...tw@ in audi quattro is still deniying been at scene even tho i have 4 witness's and police ARE prosecuting...ive a feeling its gonna take yrs to get payment for bike/gear etc grrrrrr
WireWalker

Post by WireWalker »

I'm in a similar situation. There's no new legislation but they're enforcing a refined version of the original 2001 laws and incorporating the licensing of plate vendors and new MoT inspection advice. It appears that a 9x7 plate is mostly what you end up with when you apply the standard size characters and the spacing and border rules from DVLA.

Having said that my local plate shop say they would go down to 8x7 and still add their name and postcode. When my Ducati failed on the plate back in March my MoT station supplied me with a plate that had the BS number stamped on it but not their details, they said it was kosher, same with my R1 which failed on a background logo, both plates had passed before. I'm not totally sure that's 100% Ok as the boys in blue have been told to KISS when it comes to plates and look for the postcode and if it's not there then it's a nickable offence. The same station is OK passing my Mille even though the characters have been rearranged for a MILI top line, they said it's fine because it's a dealer plate and the maker takes responsibility for it, so they are sort of saying it's not right but also not their problem.

The few people still offering show plates will be hoovered up soon as it's now illegal to sell anything purporting to be what is essentially a "fake" number plate, they will have to describe them as signage but it's quasi legal and potentially more aggro than it's worth.

I've been looking too and I think ebay is one of the few options, I'll keep looking until next week but I doubt I'll wait longer as ebay used to have dozens of people doing plates but now there are hardly any left.

I suppose this sorts out any ambiguity anyone felt in regard to plate sizes, I've saw a few flame wars over the years as it did appear for a long time that some reduction in size may be "OK".
"The future is Orange"
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Well mine got ordered this morning!

Cheers for the help and advice chaps! I'll keep it all in mind.

I'm hoping to swap bikes over the next 6-12 months anyway-should I get what I'm after it'll not be/won't have been fooled around with anyway :)
SP1's rock!
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire »

Does anyone know if the revised 2001 laws are retrospective or only for bikes registered on or after 2001?
Hoping the latter seeing as mine is 98. I bought it with a ridiculously small one and binned it but I think mines about 8x6. MOT was a few months ago and nothing said then :thumbup:
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

In theory it shouldn't be retrospective.

Otherwise if you'd bought the vehicle, new, in 1998 (say) you'd have to get a new plate made.

Never seen that before!