Scotland ,west coast ride out, Oban, Crinan ---pics !

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

bikerpiker

Scotland ,west coast ride out, Oban, Crinan ---pics !

Post by bikerpiker »

A few forum members from up this end managed a wee bike run yesterday in glorious weather :D

All in, we done just short of 300 miles from the ayrshire/glasgow area,we took the Gourock to Dunoon ferry both ways,it's not actually any shorter distance wise,but nice scenery ,and the golf was on at Loch lomond so we avoided the traffic.

There was myself (Bikerpiker) ,Bryan (escocia) and Richie (Cupasoop),and another mate whos not a member of the forum.

The route we took was from here,just 20mins south of Glasgow,to Gourock where we got the ferry to Dunoon .
We then went to Inveraray ,then up round Loch Awe to Oban.

From Oban we took the A816 south,an unbelievably twisty road to Lochgilphead ,but we stopped off at the "Atlantic Bridge",this goes to Seil Island,which is separated from the mainland by a very thin channel of sea about 40 yards wide.
Seil Island is where princess Dianas mother,Francis Shand Kydd lived.

We also stopped off at Crinan ,where the Crinan Canal saves the yachts miles of sea travel by avoiding going around the Mull Of Kintyre.

Then back to Inveraray ,then Dunoon again,for the ferry to Gourock ,and down the coast road home :)

Heres our pics ,hope you like them,...some of you guys should try it sometime ,its Scotland ,but not too far north.

-------------------------------------------

On the ferry.

-------------------------------------------------------

At Inveraray

Richie is saying"if only i was 10 years younger" ,Bryans saying "if only i was 20 years younger ,and Johnny s sayin "if only i was 30 years younger :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------

A few Oban pics, we also saw the sea-plane landing .

This is the island of Kerrera ,with the Isle Of Mull (where Ballamory is fillmed) in the background.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Atlantic Bridge , at Seil Island ,spot the eejit on the top of it,Cupa...any idea who it is ? :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
the view one way from the top of the bridge ,this is the sea .

The view in the other direction ,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The road approaching Seil Island ,over the Atlantic Bridge

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The forum three !

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Crinan ,and the canal ...what a crackin wee place , really nice :thumbup:

9 miles of canal ,reaching 65 feet or so above sea level,fed by 7 reservoirs ,saves over 100 miles of sailing 8O

Crinan lighthouse

Last edited by bikerpiker on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Stevie
Beamish

Re: Scotland ,west coast ride out, Oban, Crinan ---pics !

Post by Beamish »

Great pics mate, would be nice to head up north but I would have to switch to normal tyres again really (the racetecs arent really all weather tyres and would be worn out half way round 8O )
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Thanks for the kind words lads :wink: :thumbup:
Stevie
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

I'm taking a break from cleaning out the garage so I'll add my pics now.... (sorry for the quality, my camera fell out my pocket in the petrol station. I thought it survived but the pics look a bit pasty :thumbdown: )

Plays with himself in public and doesn't care who see's him

Destination Dunoon (and the sister ferry on the return journey)

Love travelling by boat.....feels like your going somewhere really far away

Any fans of 60's / 70's Scottish TV comedy should recognise this (if there is such a thing?)

All lined up in Oban ready for some grub

Oban to Glasgow sea plane taking off

The bridge over the Atlantic (again)

Stevie pops over to the "American" side

Kwak and Suki in Crinan

Dont know who lives here but it looks nice (complete with some clouds moving overhead)

Swan family out for a paddle

Reminded me a bit of Portmeirion in Wales where they filed the prisoner (only without the garish colours)

And in true rideout style I had to spoil the day by breaking down.

Bike finally gave up at the ferry port and spewed coolant out the expansion bottle and all over the back of the bike. Had to get pushed on the ferry as the fecker was so hot it wouldn't start. Managed to ride off at the other side when it had cooled down and the mobile workshop went into full swing in the car park. Turned out to be a holed radiator.

A days riding with a leaky rad (note large screw on the side of the rad, hole is just beside that.

Had to stop in just about every petrol station on the way home to top up the radiator which was a pain in the butt coz the rad cap is under the tank!

Timed it perfectly. Finally got home, put the side stand down and ppppppsssssssss 6 foot jet of coolant out the side of the radiator.

Edit: Stevie asked me to add this
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 469177&z=9[/googlemap]
Rich.

bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Nice pics mate, nearly as good as mine :wink: :lol:

I'm goin to do that run again sometime, not a speed camera anywhere , and hardly any traffic :D

Can you ad a map of the route ,i dont know how to :(

Edit- Cheers Richie ,i see you've done it :thumbup:
Stevie
escocia

Post by escocia »

Yes it was a good day out on the bikes, only downsides were cupasoop's mechanical problem and the cuffed lug I got when my missus saw pic#2! I don't remeber that girl at the railing at all, but I do remember the one who was a foot passenger on the morning ferry. :wink:
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Guys,
Can I just say thank you.... I'm fairly new to the biking thing and am looking forward to my jaunt from Luton down to "Mother's" in Devon on the Storm. Planning the back routes obviously!

Hope the weather is as nice for me as it was for you!
blacknek

Post by blacknek »

its a shame I missed it lads, will be on the next ride out tho ;

ed
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

blacknek wrote:its a shame I missed it lads, will be on the next ride out tho ;

ed
Nae problem Ed, i'll be away on holiday in 2 weeks time, but anytime after that and we will give you a shout :thumbup:
Stevie
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Timbo wrote:good pics chaps, well worth logging in for. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Cheers Tim, it was a great run,it would've been even better if we had made arrangements to camp/b&b overnight.

ps....i fitted those Renthals i bought off you just a few days after i got them, a huge improvement :thumbup:
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks too you both (Stevie and Rich) for some crackin pic's. It looks like it was an excellent trip, some fantastic scenery for sure :thumbup:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Only Just found this thread.
Looks like a really good route, lovely part of the country, excellent pics thanks lads.

Got that rad fixed yet Rich. I spent saturday morning replacing the one in my car. I'll bet it's 4 times the size of yours and only half the cost :biggrin

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Pete.L wrote:Got that rad fixed yet Rich. I spent saturday morning replacing the one in my car. I'll bet it's 4 times the size of yours and only half the cost :biggrin

Pete.l
err, not quite. The rad is repaired, £40 to have it welded and repainted, but when it was off I decided to remove the exhaust and give that a bit of a rub down and paint as it was looking a bit brown and grubby. Broke 2 exhaust studs in the process, 1 I got out but the other is being a right stubborn wombles. That'll teach me to leave things alone :Wall:
Rich.

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Ouch!
I've had exhaust studs sieze & snap on me in the past. Not my favorite job I must admit. :sad2
Penatrating oil never does it and 'easy outs' are a waste of time. If you've got any stud left I'd go straight to the blow lamp and maule grips. Good luck with that.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

cupasoop wrote:
Pete.L wrote:Got that rad fixed yet Rich. I spent saturday morning replacing the one in my car. I'll bet it's 4 times the size of yours and only half the cost :biggrin

Pete.l
err, not quite. The rad is repaired, £40 to have it welded and repainted, but when it was off I decided to remove the exhaust and give that a bit of a rub down and paint as it was looking a bit brown and grubby. Broke 2 exhaust studs in the process, 1 I got out but the other is being a right stubborn wombles. That'll teach me to leave things alone :Wall:
Richie ,give me a shout if you want me to pop doon with my wee welder , i might be able to weld a bit of steel on and unscrew the broken stud ,ive done that loads of times....a 50/50 chance of success i'd say :!:
Stevie