Standard baffles-just drilled or out altogether?

General Bike chat
BBUK01

Re: Standard baffles-just drilled or out altogether?

Post by BBUK01 »

Mick B wrote:
BBUK01 wrote:
bikerpiker wrote:Give it a week or two and the drill will be out again :wink:

I agree a huge improvement over standard, but think how good it would be with 8 holes each can :wink:

Actually i was so impressed with the baffle modification on the Firestorm , that i searched and found info regarding doing it to my Bandit.......job done :D ,sounds real good :!: ..............Not as good as a v-twin though :(
Nah,... I think 3 holes at 13mm plus the baffle is enough, anymore and it's too loud and draws the wrong kind of attention, this way it's just nice, not muffled and not deafing but headturning :biggrin .

So to do this mod you just drill the 3 holes in the end plate of the exhaust and not into the baffle ?
yup, correct, do this to both exhausts... :clap: :thumbup:

WITH SKILL COMES SPEED
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

no baffle :eek2 no ectomy :thumbup:
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
geodude

Post by geodude »

BBUK01 wrote:
bikerpiker wrote:Give it a week or two and the drill will be out again :wink:

I agree a huge improvement over standard, but think how good it would be with 8 holes each can :wink:

Actually i was so impressed with the baffle modification on the Firestorm , that i searched and found info regarding doing it to my Bandit.......job done :D ,sounds real good :!: ..............Not as good as a v-twin though :(
Nah,... I think 3 holes at 13mm plus the baffle is enough, anymore and it's too loud and draws the wrong kind of attention, this way it's just nice, not muffled and not deafing but headturning :biggrin .

Do you have to remove from bike to do the drilling or did you leave it on? What happens to all the crap from drilling? I guess it gets blown out the back when you start her up.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Leave them on when drilling them,makes them more solid to work on .

I think the first time i drilled the holes ,i took the can off to empty the swarf out, when i drilled them out a bigger size i didnt bother :!:
Stevie
BBUK01

Post by BBUK01 »

I left the cans on, it's easier that way and the swarf, well most gets drilled out of the way and the rest either blows away or gets vibrated away :biggrin

WITH SKILL COMES SPEED
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Just another question with its drilled will it still pass an MOT.And also with the baffle removed will that pass or fail.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I'd say with them just drilled,no probs regarding an mot at all, ..........with the baffle removed completely,i'm not sure,....i think as long as it does not say "not for road use" ,it's at the examiners discression :confused

I made up an end cap thingy for each side for the mot, just incase (my baffles were removed),had no problem at all with mot :)

Stevie
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Just a question as i'm thinking of going down the baffle-ectomy route... (watch out PhilVT, i'm on my way with a drill too!)

Would either mods.. (drilled or completely removed) affect the performance? it's not altering the length, but might it upset the back pressure? Only thoughts from a junkroom mechanic??
Simon
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Certainly i never noticed any difference in performance , if anything it felt more responsive , and MPG seemed better as well .......well,it seemed like it :)
Stevie
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Cheers BP
Just didn't wanna go down the "saving money for a while" route and end up spending a fortune dyno and jetting the system to cope with the new "cans."

oh well, here goes!
mwross1964

Post by mwross1964 »

Well I done the three holes (7mm)each side,and I must say it sounds very nice & apart from the odd back fire,seems to run better.

:p

Mark.

well chuffed.
anything with wheels or tits is gonna cost ya money.
but who needs money
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

Must get round to modding my stock cans :S

With having a 33bhp restrictor kit, if I fit different cans, it invalidates the insurance! :S

So out will come the drill...:P

I'm not going to do a full bafflectomy, but seeing that difference people have drilled different size and different quantities of holes, anyone got an idea what combo is best for deceleration pops?

Thats the main reason I changed the can on my 650 single cylinder :P

So anyone got an opinion?
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Start with small holes, say 7mm see what is like then you drill bigger ones if its not too your liking, i just went and drilled 12mm in mine and that is fine, the kids can hear me from 1/2 mile away when i visit them so they are all waiting when i get there :lol:
Ride Safe
Phil
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Drilling all these holes does it make the bike run Lean during day to day 30-40 mph riding ? Mines nudging back when on a steady throttle but goes like stink once opened up.
mwross1964

Post by mwross1964 »

As I said I find it runs better,sound and performance, with 3 x 7mm holes on each baffle.Sitting at traffic lights or twistin' the throttle as you have the clutch in when changing down gear has never been nicer............... :D :D :thumbup:

Mark
anything with wheels or tits is gonna cost ya money.
but who needs money