backfiring?

General Bike chat
shaun1978

backfiring?

Post by shaun1978 »

just thought i'd give my storm and mille a warm through this afternoon, but one thing that still bugs the hell out of me , everytime i start the storm it ALWAYS backfires and then immediately strikes up....., I'm wondering if its got a dynojet kit fitted, its always done it just never gave it much thought.
It also "sneezes" a fair bit when I'm running slowly through a built up area......

any ideas?
stormingjoe

Re: backfiring?

Post by stormingjoe »

fire breathing dragon?
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Enjoy the noise :?:

mines never pops or bangs at all ,...infact it's only done it once, it was a hell of a bang in a buit up area, it was totally out of character for it, sounded like a gun going off, i was so taken aback i stopped the bike and checked it over, i thought i'd ran over a bottle or something which had exploded:!:

It's seems to be the bit of "character " mines is missing ,maybe not a bad thing though :!:

Standard cans and filter fitted ,even after drilling holes and eventually removing the end baffle completely, it still never popped or banged :!:
Last edited by bikerpiker on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Definately an exhaust/fuelling/filter issue IMO. I had a combination of standard cans and filter and it used to cough and bang occasionally then moved on to Scorpions with standard filter and it was much smoother but still farted through the carbs on occasion. Changed to custom made shortened cans with BMC race filter and trademark farts were all but eradicated. Might be worth asking Silver Zipper what my bike is like now with standard cans and BMC filter (if still fitted).
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If you haven't done it (or had it done) recently, balancing the carbs may help :!:

Chris.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

bikerpiker wrote:Enjoy the noise :?:

mines never pops or bangs at all
Loosen the clamps holding the cans on. That should draw in enough air when you shut the throttle and get it popping on the overrun. It's childish but V twins sound good like that :)
Rich.

shaun1978

Post by shaun1978 »

It's running remus cans and a K&N filter which was on it when i got it ...... this is why i'm wondering has it got a dynojet kit fitted as it seems to really overfuel.
Will get the carbs balanced ASAP tho....

think this may just end up being a track bike lol
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Hmmmn, some (RedStormV :D ) will disagree but the K and N seems to need perfect setting up to run super smooth as opposed to others that need less attention to jetting etc. Also if you try the standard air filter as it has cured fuelling issues in the past.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
shaun1978

Post by shaun1978 »

ok will see if i can get a standard filter this week...
lee67

Post by lee67 »

twas same wi mine..ex jp's bike...refitting a standard filter cured it completely..but then i got rid lol :lol: ...