I've Come Back

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
dissy

I've Come Back

Post by dissy »

Hi
I have come back to the forum aftre 18 months of being busy to see if anyone can help me.

I have owned my Storm for 3 years now and have done about 1000miles so dont use it that much due to the fact that I end up with serious neck ache. I was thinking of buying aZ1000 so to overcome this but the economic situation has ended my ideas of spending £1000+ to change.
I have been thinking of transforming my Storm as am engineer to streetfighter that can be swapped back to standard when required to sell, does anyone know of someone who has done this to advise please?
Thanks Tim
bikerpiker

Risers , raisers ,bars, yoke , renthals

Post by bikerpiker »

Hi Tim
not sure if you mean full on streetfighter or if you mean just raising your bars to try to eliminate your neck ache :!: :?:

If its the latter, you have a few choices......you could fit a set of vfr bars ,(slight trimming of fairing might be needed depending what year you go for),....or you could drill your yoke and fit risers and Renthal bars , ....or you could buy a yoke conversion kit , which easily bolts on to your existing top yoke , quite a few manufacturers do these :!:

If you do need to trim your fairing , use a bit of tape as a guide , dead easy , 5 mins each side :!:

I went for drilling the yoke and fitting risers /Renthals, but the other two mods are prob slightly easier , if you use the forum search facility there is a lot of info :)
I'd expect to put mine back to standard bars in approx one hour if required. I didnt need any longer cables or hoses .

Heres a pic of a top yoke conversion kit which fits over your existing top yoke :!:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres a pic of the long type risers (as far as i know ,no fairing trimming is needed :!:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres the bolt-on angled risers that i used (standard yoke )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heres a side view with my fairing cut with dremmel .

Stevie
dissy

Post by dissy »

Hi Stevie
Thanks for the reply I was thinking of removing all of the fairing as I didn't want to cut it and didn't know if would look odd with the fairing and high bars. It's a shame you aren't closer as I would like a good look.
Which Renthal bars did you use and can you remember the manufacturer of your risers please.
Thanks again Tim :)
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Hi mate,
i bought the risers from "Busters" , but they came with 2 bolt holes, which wasn't that great for positioning them on the yoke, so i had to drill/tap a hole between them, in each riser.

If you were to do it using bar risers/raisers , prob best make sure the ones you buy only have one bolt hole,unless you use the longer type as in the pic above :!:

To be honest , my bars are a bit straight, so i will prob buy renthal road bike bars @ £25 or so :!:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Renthal-Road- ... 240%3A1318
Stevie
dissy

Post by dissy »

Hi Mate
Thanks for your reply, I did a search on the posts and it took me 2 hrs to read it all, you must be fed up with writing the same to all new members who ask the same question. I'm still tempted to buy a streetfighter headlight to change the bike and make it look a bit bdifferent ther is one on E bay that I think looks smart

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0311725658

I can get bits lasered and bent as I service sheet metal machinery and have access to a machine shop. Have you seen many bikes done without the fairings, how does this compare with bikes with high bars with the fairings left on?
Will PM you pics of my bike as it is now.
Thanks again Tim
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Tim,
The ebay fairing looks good i reckon :!: Thats handy you having access to metalworking machines :!: I agree if your fightering it, the standard fairings got to come off, or be heavily modified :!:

If you search this forum, you should find info/pics of 'fighters , ..Fishface had pics of his posted only last week or so ,really nice bike 8) Also Timbo is talking about fightering his over winter :!:

You could also try the "Superhawk forum" (american name for firestorm ), and maybe" Ozfirestorm" forum , both should throw up some pics /ideas for you :!:
Stevie
dissy

Post by dissy »

Hi Stevie
Have bought the fairing and am going ahead to build a streetfighter !! Just got to decide which risers and handlebars to use.
I cant find how to put photo's on this can E mail them to you if your interested.
Catch you later
Tim
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Tim,
I use imageshack to post pics, its easy, (must be if i can manage ) :oops: Copy from your pc and paste onto imageshack ,upload, then paste onto forum.......i think , :lol:

Try that, then maybe post some pics in progress :!:

A bar conversion should be easy,especially since your removing the standard fairing you should have no clearance issues :!:

Best o luck with yer project :!:
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good luck with your Streetfighter Dissy :!: Look forward to seeing some pic's 8)

Chris.
dissy

Post by dissy »

Hi Stevie ,
Hope your OK?
Have tried to get to imageshack.com and just lists a lot of sites not how to alter photo's etc
Thanks Anyway Tim