lithium battery

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bikemad

lithium battery

Post by bikemad »

I have an Ultrabatt lithium battery in a Ducati 900ss(1995 model) I own with no problem.
I would like to fit the same battery to the 2005 model vtr1000 firestorm I own but I have heard that lithium batteries do not like
a small drain put on them by alarms or security systems.
The vtr1000 has this HISS system on it and I wondered if this will drain the battery enough to give grief starting the bike?
Is this story an old wives tale or true?
Any advice!
Cheers Ian.
tony.mon

Re: lithium battery

Post by tony.mon »

As long as you run it up to full temps once a month at least you will be for me.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

battery can be fitted with quick connector, my friend do them like this. I think there are some commercial producers with connector too.

bikemad

Post by bikemad »

I have found an answer to my question on this forum by "Stephan" in 2016

Lithium batteries
minuses:
- performance about 0 degree, you need to wait until battery reach its working temperature
- when battery is completely drain, performance can be affected or in worst case, battery destroyed
- capacity, if you have alarm, or any other device with contionous small power drain when engine is off, this battery is not suitable
bikemad

Post by bikemad »

I have found an answer to my question on this forum by "Stephan" in 2016

Lithium batteries
minuses:
- performance about 0 degree, you need to wait until battery reach its working temperature
- when battery is completely drain, performance can be affected or in worst case, battery destroyed
- capacity, if you have alarm, or any other device with contionous small power drain when engine is off, this battery is not suitable
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

still true, just last point can be solved by disconnecting the battery. But alarm is not working then ...

On the other hand, 4kg weight save is massive, and if cared properly, lasts for ages. I run mine from 2008 I think, just last year replaced 4 cells, other 4 are still original.

Personally I would run it in any bike. I just prefer these homemade ones, because cells are replacable and guatanteed quality, it can even have some sort of balancer fitted. Price is similar to what you can buy.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Stephan wrote:still true, just last point can be solved by disconnecting the battery. But alarm is not working then ...

On the other hand, 4kg weight save is massive, and if cared properly, lasts for ages. I run mine from 2008 I think, just last year replaced 4 cells, other 4 are still original.

Personally I would run it in any bike. I just prefer these homemade ones, because cells are replacable and guatanteed quality, it can even have some sort of balancer fitted. Price is similar to what you can buy.
Hi there,

What home made lithium batteries do you speak of? Sounds interesting. Thanks.
No bike (yet).
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

my friend make them, in fact he made the very first one for me years ago, latest one is on picture above (JEbatt is the battery name).

It is made from fresh A123 cells followers, 8 cells bonded together in 3d printed case and quick connector. There can be balancer fitted, but there are doubts if it is beneficial, as there were two faulty batteries with balancers from big brands (jmt one of them).

It is "homemade", but quality made, he is not living from it. Downside is no warranty, quetionably (if you are able to claim for commercial batteries).
Price would be around 100 pounds without balancer and including postage, not sure about it, not my business :)

Anyway, if interested, shoot me pm.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

I thought about installing a battery disconnect on the bike with a key like I've done on my project/ track car and drag car years ago.
It would help with theft prevention among other things and since I drive a truck for up to 6 weeks at a time I just simply turn the key and no connection.
This is exactly what I'm now doing with the car as it makes it much easier to turn a switch than open a hood, use a tool, and disconnect the battery. Same with the bike.
DAB92854-B581-4A61-8594-72BEB2F9C913.jpeg
278D17CE-3FA4-4BE9-860D-C2F787BF8423.jpeg
The switch is rated for 100 amps continuous with 300 amp surge for start up.
It's still in the idea framework right now but something I may actually do.
Opinions? :Beer Popcorn:
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆