Timing Chain Auto Adjusters....

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
trebor2001

Timing Chain Auto Adjusters....

Post by trebor2001 »

Have just purchased my 2003 Firestorm, with a documented 10000 miles on the clock, I was washing my new machine when a" knowledgeable " sort, remarked lovely looking bike, then to my dismay quipped, oh no , you have the dreaded Auto timing chain adjusters still in situ !!!!!!....my question is, whats the score with these items ? do I need to change them ? he mentioned manual adjusters ??? to replace the auto sort with , confused now, even scared to go out on the bike incase of failure of same , please help, what should I do regarding this ? if only the chap had not approached me I would have been non the wiser, and probably ridden of into the sunset, with no probs, or would I ?....all advice respectively received, thank,s in advance..... :confused
Wicky

Re: Timing Chain Auto Adjusters....

Post by Wicky »

A well known weakness of the VTR and good you got an early warning - Have a read through this:

*** Read Me for New Members *** > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications

viewtopic.php?p=304638#p304638
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The original CCT's (Cam Chain Tensioner) can fail at almost anytime. Although a very, and I mean a very few owners have managed to achieve a lot of miles without having had a failure, it seems to be those who ride their bikes regularly each week. Not owners like us here in the UK who probably don't do that many miles, and likely have our bikes tucked up over the winter months that seem to be more susceptible to failures. Condensation seems to play a part in CCT spring failures.

Have a read of this link on how to fit manual CCT's:-
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28583

You could have already had the Stopper Mod done to your bike, you can read about that here:-
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19416

Chris.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

if it's something youre afraid to tackle, some guys on here might be able to help you or point you in the direction of a good mechanic. the reg/rec is another item which is prone to failure but dont let it put you off. the storm is a great bike
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

maybe not today, or tomorrow or even next week but they will at some point for no reason destroy your bike,, change them asap and ride away until your bored without worry.. :thumbup:

and dont talk to a Honda shop, they will tell you they got ungraded on later models!!!! complete bollox, they never changed them.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Change them as they will fail at some till and leave you with a large bill.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Crack on and do it. Allow a day, be prepared to walk away lots, drink loads of tea but if you follow the guide and don't rush you will be fine. I managed it with two left hands and feet. But now you know the facts, it will be a huge weight off your mind when they are done. ATB Richard
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There's a few owners dotted about the country who will talk you through this job for a bacon sarnie and a packet of biscuits, if you aren't mechanically confident, but the "how-to" is pretty easy if you have a spanner or two, Allen keys and a socket set.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 am There's a few owners dotted about the country who will talk you through this job for a bacon sarnie and a packet of biscuits, if you aren't mechanically confident, but the "how-to" is pretty easy if you have a spanner or two, Allen keys and a socket set.
It's always handy to know your location if you need help
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
trebor2001

Post by trebor2001 »

Hi, i,m in Ayr South West Scotland, if anyone can help, dont want to go to the dealer, he wants an arm and a leg, and i have two left hands when it comes to mechanics.... :lol:
trebor2001

Post by trebor2001 »

I,M the original guy, that was sent for a "long stand" at work, and the proverbial "left handed screwdriver " :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

unfortunately I left Galloway 35 years ago, but if needed I can talk you through the process with an accent you can understand :D
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:11 pm unfortunately I left Galloway 35 years ago, but if needed I can talk you through the process with an accent you can understand :D
:lol: :clap:

No hope for me then :wink:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:14 pm
AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:11 pm unfortunately I left Galloway 35 years ago, but if needed I can talk you through the process with an accent you can understand :D

Chris.
Sorry, what was that?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:04 am
sirch345 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Chris.
Sorry, what was that?
I don't know I have forgotten the question now :shh:

Chris.