How do I go about building a loom?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freeridenick

How do I go about building a loom?

Post by freeridenick »

I'm constantly thinking about getting my track bike on the road just so I have something to get out on occasionally, maybe even a Storm meet or two, but with no lights or horn it's a bit of a pain. Plus all the road wiring has already been stripped out of the old loom and I've added various extras that are straight off the battery with in line fuses.

A much tidyer option would be to build a sub loom for all the additional bits that will also allow a horn, brake light and headlight (covered for MOT) to be fitted. I know various components are wired in parallel from a single fuse but I've no idea where to start.
popkat

Re: How do I go about building a loom?

Post by popkat »

you can get an MOT with just a horn, you can use a battery one like a bicycle one as long as it has a continuous tone.
As for building a loom it's not easy, you need a good knowledge of electrics, ability to read and understand a multimeter and lots of time. easier to find someone who knows how to do it but it won't be cheap. To have custom loom built can easily be £500 or more, that says it's not an easy job.

Best/easiest way would be to start with a stock wiring loom then strip out the bits you don't need and leave what you want to keep.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s