Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Kev L

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by Kev L »

I’ve used the zinc plating kit on my GT250, FS1E and step sons TS50x and was very pleased with the results. I started using them for the reasons as you, lost parts/crappy finish from some players.
I think you can nickel plate Tony but chrome needs arsenic if I remember right and the authorities aren’t keen on Joe public having that floating about!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 am yes Chris, its plumbers solder... but not this eco crap, propper lead solder! :lol:
Excellent as I have some of that solder in my plumbing kit :thumbup:
I think I'll make up a little soldering pot so there is less chance of it wicking up the cable. Thank you for the INFO :D
buzzer wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 am One of the things I have always struggled to get done is plating... I have had some terrible jobs done in the past, and lost critical small parts to the bottom of someone's plating vat!

so about 4 years ago I bought a plating kit to do zinc... Have to say it's VERY good and I have used it time and time again! its a bit time consuming, but time is something I have, particularly at the moment...

Here are the results for my latest build. the kit can do clear and yellow passivation, you can see the difference.
No 1.jpg
No 2.jpg
Nice work with the plating 8) :clap:

There was another guy who did some of this, I was going to say recently :problem: it was Feb 2017 :crazy:
viewtopic.php?p=439542#p439542

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Now for the nice bit… putting it all back together! the frame came back from the powder coaters and as ever its a superb job! I know its a 50 mile round trip to this guy but his work is worth it, especially after the poor jobs I have had done in the past at local companies… Must be the easiest engine to put in a frame!
No 3.jpg
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice for the engine to go in that easy 8)

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

More progress... no holidays, and no pressure to go out means more garage time... its a good job I have this project or I would be climbing the walls by now!
No 4.jpg
No 5.jpg
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

You do know an awful lot of people would happily holiday in your workshop!!!!!
Cracking project
I am only a nut twiddler and overtightener, but just love to see this stuff. Especially for the skill level and end results are too notch.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Top!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wow, you're certainly moving on with this project :clap:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

One of the benefits of having a blast cabinet is the ability to clean parts up easily... But I have always struggled to get that nice shiny finish the professionals manage to get with glass bead. I went to the bead supplier a while ago and said that I was having problems, and he asked what pressure I was blasting at, to which I replied 120 PSI. he said that's your problem... its too high and you are shattering the glass beads and the broken beads are giving you a matt finish! he said to turn the pressure right down, and then up until you got the finish you want! its so much better, you can see the difference in the reservoir caps! it also gives a closed finish that dirty finger prints just wipe off, on the matt surface they are difficult to remove!

No 6.jpg
No 7.jpg
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:20 pm
buzzer wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:38 pm One of the benefits of having a blast cabinet is the ability to clean parts up easily... But I have always struggled to get that nice shiny finish the professionals manage to get with glass bead. I went to the bead supplier a while ago and said that I was having problems, and he asked what pressure I was blasting at, to which I replied 120 PSI. he said that's your problem... its too high and you are shattering the glass beads and the broken beads are giving you a matt finish! he said to turn the pressure right down, and then up until you got the finish you want! its so much better, you can see the difference in the reservoir caps! it also gives a closed finish that dirty finger prints just wipe off, on the matt surface they are difficult to remove!

No 6.jpg
No 7.jpg
That's handy to know :thumbup: who would have thought that,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Back in its wheels now...
No 8.jpg
No 10.jpg
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Looking very very good👍👍😁
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Looking very tasty.I want one.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:19 pm Looking very tasty.I want one.
Much as I love Ducati bikes... I would think long and hard before I bought a Ducati from that era of this bike... many have plastic tanks that are now affected by the ethanol in the fuel... they swell and distort out of shape! its a nightmare on some bikes and there is no permanent fix... its the reason I got the bike cheap, with the idea of changing to a metal tank.

some of the Monster guys have had alloy tanks made at £3000... but the manufacturer used none ethanol resistant rubber tube in them, and welded the tanks so it couldn't be changed! work that one out!
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

True professionalism. Kudos to you! :thumbup: