Well you asked for another Ducati build

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
alanfjones1411

Re: Well you asked for another Ducati build

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Great skills
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Richard wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:02 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:31 pm Good work, well done 8)

Having another read of this thread I can see how the red petrol tank will look better than the orange one with it being not so tall, although the orange tank looked okay to me until you posted a photo of the red tank on the bike :wink:

Chris.
Or will it be orange 🤪👍
I am not going to torture myself again over colour... ORANGE it is :biggrin
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's what happens when you mistype 20 litres instead of 2 litres when buying paint online....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Oh yes, I've got one of these somewhere in the workshop🤪🤪 not like this though
Nice work
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Next the messy job of making a seat, well I actually made two as I couldn’t decide on shape! Its the one thing many people ask how I do it, so I have written a tutorial on it rather than post all of it here.

here is the link to my blog page

https://jtccc.wordpress.com/projects-2/ ... nufacture/

So just a few pictures…

No 3.jpg
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Looking good. I enjoy the write ups as well. Well done that man👍
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You make it look all to easy :lol: which I know it's not.

Great work again 8)

Thanks for the link on "Tank and Seat manufacture" that was a good informative read :thumbup:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Today I made up some cables for the FCR’s. as they are split I have used a cable junction box, and made up the cables from scratch, including the brass nipples which I have soldered on.

here is a link to a video to see the action...

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Lockdown is good for progress! I have finished the frame modifications to clear the carbs, and finished the fabrication on the rear subframe so it's off to the powder coaters tomorrow.

I have also stripped the rear shocker so I can change the colour on the spring... not sure what to yet, but definitely not yellow! had to make a clamp as these are strong springs and I have the utmost respect when working with them under this much tension, hence the beefy plate and studs!

And here is the engine...
post 3 No1.jpg
Post 3 No 2.jpg
post 3 No3.jpg
post 3 No3.jpg (105.56 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Post 3 No 4.jpg
Post 3 No 4.jpg (103.58 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

All looking stunning. Top work!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You are certainly getting on with it, well done it's all looking great :thumbup:
I like your spring compressor, like you say you cannot mess around with those heavy springs. It was a little easier when we had twin shocks :wink:

Out of interest what type of inner cable did you use for the throttle cables :?:

I was going to modify a Fireblade throttle cable for the VTR (with higher Renthal handlebars), that was until I found you can't solder stainless steel cables,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:06 pm You are certainly getting on with it, well done it's all looking great :thumbup:
I like your spring compressor, like you say you cannot mess around with those heavy springs. It was a little easier when we had twin shocks :wink:

Out of interest what type of inner cable did you use for the throttle cables :?:

I was going to modify a Fireblade throttle cable for the VTR (with higher Renthal handlebars), that was until I found you can't solder stainless steel cables,

Chris.
I use cycle bowden cable Chris... and soft solder the brass nipples on. A couple of tips... push the cable through the hole and then fray the end of the cable... then pull the nipple up so the cable is expanded in the bigger hole on one side of the nipple. Leave 2mm of cable sticking through... Nexp bit is important, spray it with carb cleaner before attempting to solder it. Bowden cables are made with oil on them. Solder it with some solder and flux, and then grind the top off.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:17 pm
sirch345 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:06 pm You are certainly getting on with it, well done it's all looking great :thumbup:

Chris.
I use cycle bowden cable Chris... and soft solder the brass nipples on. A couple of tips... push the cable through the hole and then fray the end of the cable... then pull the nipple up so the cable is expanded in the bigger hole on one side of the nipple. Leave 2mm of cable sticking through... Nexp bit is important, spray it with carb cleaner before attempting to solder it. Bowden cables are made with oil on them. Solder it with some solder and flux, and then grind the top off.
Many thanks for the advice on that, that's a big help, especially the carb cleaner bit :thumbup:

Is soft solder tin and lead :?: and heated with a soldering iron :?:

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

yes Chris, its plumbers solder... but not this eco crap, propper lead solder! :lol:

One of the things I have always struggled to get done is plating... I have had some terrible jobs done in the past, and lost critical small parts to the bottom of someone's plating vat!

so about 4 years ago I bought a plating kit to do zinc... Have to say it's VERY good and I have used it time and time again! its a bit time consuming, but time is something I have, particularly at the moment...

Here are the results for my latest build. the kit can do clear and yellow passivation, you can see the difference.
Post 4 No 1.jpg
Post 4 no 2.jpg
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

What was the kit cost, and can you add chroming?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.