PAINT CODES

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wombat

PAINT CODES

Post by Wombat »

Can anyone tell me where to find my factory yellow paint code to colour match a belly pan with ?
Every yellow I look at just isnt quite right.

Cheers Guys
MacV2

Re: PAINT CODES

Post by MacV2 »

Wombat wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:54 am Can anyone tell me where to find my factory yellow paint code to colour match a belly pan with ?

Cheers Guys
There should be a sticker on the l/h top rail of the subframe, just lift the seat off to find.

After 20 odd years chances are it's missing...

Yours should be Y- 124P.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 2b#p212945
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Just a heads-up before you get the bellypan painted. The Firestorm yellow is not an easy paint to match, what will look right in one light may not look the right shade in another,

Chris.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

sirch345 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:10 pm Just a heads-up before you get the bellypan painted. The Firestorm yellow is not an easy paint to match, what will look right in one light may not look the right shade in another,

Chris.
So how do I go about matching it ? If have thought being a factory paint job, there should be a color code somewhere specifically for such purposes ?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

MacV2 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:48 am
Wombat wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:54 am Can anyone tell me where to find my factory yellow paint code to colour match a belly pan with ?

Cheers Guys
There should be a sticker on the l/h top rail of the subframe, just lift the seat off to find.

After 20 odd years chances are it's missing...

Yours should be Y- 124P.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 2b#p212945
Thank you. :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wombat wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:37 am
sirch345 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:10 pm Just a heads-up before you get the bellypan painted. The Firestorm yellow is not an easy paint to match, what will look right in one light may not look the right shade in another,

Chris.
So how do I go about matching it ? If have thought being a factory paint job, there should be a color code somewhere specifically for such purposes ?
Yeah but the paint on the bike is 20years old, the fresh paint same code wont be 20years old...I hope.

Best bet is to find a decent sprayer who can match it...cost tho $$$
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Chris.
I was just trying avoid your disappointment by giving you the heads-up if you get it painted by a professional and it's not what you were hoping for, and to give you the option of not going for the yellow now you know it's not an easy match. What about painting it the same colour as the engine casing :?:

Mac gave you the colour code above.

Good luck if you're going to go with the yellow paint,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Chris.
I was just trying avoid your disappointment by giving you the heads-up if you get it painted by a professional and it's not what you were hoping for, and to give you the option of not going for the yellow now you know it's not an easy match. What about painting it the same colour as the engine casing :?:

Mac gave you the colour code above.

Good luck if you're going to go with the yellow paint,

Chris.
Do it Rolling Stones colour....

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

There are a few Yellow ones on a googel search which show some with black belly pans...

But what one do you have stan bikin fairing in Silver or an after market one ?

Standard one is easy enough to paint with a rattle can spray paint...

https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=Yellow+Firestorms#id=_
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

MacV2 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:34 pm There are a few Yellow ones on a googel search which show some with black belly pans...

Nah factory yellow pearl i think they call it
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Wombat wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:06 am
MacV2 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:34 pm There are a few Yellow ones on a googel search which show some with black belly pans...

Nah factory yellow pearl i think they call it
Wombat you Wombat I know the bikes yella, you asked about coulor matching the belly pan... So my question is what type of belly pan are you talking about... The one in yout avtar is the standard bikini fairing, bug catcher or whatever you want to call it, it's silver as standard. Is that what your looking to paint or do you have an aftermarket one ?

IMO they look better in black as it brakes the colour up...but hey its your bike paint it pink if you want to...hahahaha

As has been said if you take it to a spray shop they should be able to match the colour for you, your unlikely to get a perfect match from a rattle can even with the corect paint code Y-124P... Its getting on 20years old UV light affects paint colour over time...

Good luck let us know how you get on... Although I still think you should paint it Black, for looks alone + the fact it'll be easier...

Just a thought for you, couple of bolts & its off, spend a couple of hours prep & paint in black, bung it back on, live with it for a few days or weeks If you dont like it then get it colour matched yella... If you can live with the black think of the $$'s saved that you can spend on stubbies or fuel... :lol: