Engine Not running smoothly

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
andy225

Engine Not running smoothly

Post by andy225 »

I've had my Firestorm for a couple of years and the engine's always been a bit glitchy at low revs up to about 3500 like an engine that's cold and not up to temp. This is my 2nd storm replacing my 1st after it was stolen from me, the 1st one I had for a while, was cracking bike and ran spot on, this one I've got now just doesn't have the same smooth running of the first. I got a mechanic to try and sort it for me , he checked the valve timing, cleaned the carbs and replaced the air filter, it improved it a bit but still not running a smooth as it should. As well as advice on possible causes would also appreciate any recommendations on somebody who good with firestorms, knows them inside out and would sort it out for me. Cheers, thanks for any advive :thumbup:
2002 VTR1000 firestorm,yellow,blueflame race cans. :D
Pentode

Re: Engine Not running smoothly

Post by Pentode »

Do you know if the TPS had been adjusted down to 500 ohms? Makes a big difference to the low speed running.
Insufferable halfwit.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

A location would be handy.

Make sure the airbox and airfilter are standard as mods in that dept that work for IL4s more often than not lead to substandard running.

Also TPS and carb balancing procedures are both described in the workshop knowledgebase.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Bit more info required...

UK or USA bike?

Early or Late model ?

If Its a late one & has the pairs device fitted it will cough & splutter a bit.

Both type also suffer from whats known as 'Carb Fart' Basicaly a backfire through the carbs in to the air box...Feels a bit like a thump through the tank... This can be somewhat cured by having the carbs in balance, TPS set to 500omhs(ish) & turn the tick over up to at least 1200rpm.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
andy225

Post by andy225 »

Sorry forgot to give my location it's Skelmersdale in West Lancashire/Merseyside area. No the bike is not an import,don't think anything's been done to the tps sensor. After having a previous Storm, I've got a good benchmark to compare my current one with, It's just lacking the smoothness my old one had ,even the starting is not as on the button and good as my last one. Riding it with big handfuls of throttle is ok :D But it's the slow stuff, like going around roundabouts, filtering, slow moving traffic ect. becomes a source of irritation which is a shame because I've ridden Firestorms for years and love em :thumbup:
andy225

Post by andy225 »

Early version of Firestorm and standard air filter.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

When things get back to normal pop it across to VTR guru, Roger Ditchfield http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk > Galgate, Nr. Lancaster, LA2 OPX
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Carbs not seated properly?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
andy225

Post by andy225 »

Lancaster is maybe a little bit further away than I hoped but thanks for the option if I can't find anyone more local, I would be quite happy to pay a Firestorm owner who's good on the spanners and knows the bikes inside out to sort it out for me, so open to any suggestions/recommendations.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Suggest you share your location....
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I'm a bit closer, in Chester. I wouldn't say I know these bikes absolutely inside out but have had one for five years and put 70,000 miles on it, with all work bar tyres done myself, and have worked on bikes for eighteen years so have a fair bit of knowledge. I'd be very happy to have a look once the current situation allows it, if you haven't found someone else to do so by then.
andy225

Post by andy225 »

Cheers, thanks for the help and suggestions, once this lockdown finished I'm going to try and get something sorted rather than putting up with it. Love the VTR1000, best bikes I've had and am sticking with them :thumbup:
andy225

Post by andy225 »

Thanks for the offer, you're exactly the sort of person I'm looking for just a shame not a little bit closer. I'm trying to track down a guy in Southport who used to have a bike repair workshop, now closed, called CQ performance. I remember having a conversation with him a while back and him saying he used to do a bit of spannering for a vtr race team back in the day, if I could track him down he'd be spot on :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I had a look online; he's called Quinny, so I assume his surname is Quinn.
That's not too common, check the phone listings or voting register. Often, people live close to their place of work.
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

I often drive to Skelmersdale from my workshop in Galgate, one mile from J33, and it takes me 35 minutes provided there are no hold ups. I am happy to look at the bike if you cannot find a more local expert once we return to normality