basic gear indicator?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
John Orchard

basic gear indicator?

Post by John Orchard »

Hey Guy's, Who has knowledge on the various gear indicators available for the Firestorm? Is there a difference in quality (or ease of fitment) between the large price spectrum on the internet?

I don't want one that has a shift-light, don't want one that retains history, I just want one that tells me what gear I am in. Also one that is quick & easy to program at the track after multiple gearing or idle rpm changes.

TIA
popkat

Re: basic gear indicator?

Post by popkat »

The only one worth having is the healtech gipro. closest to real time which is as close as you can get on a storm. I don't know how easy it would be for altering gearing though, I fitted mine years ago, have a feeling it self learned. why would you want multiple gearing changes on a storm anyway ?. one set up would suit most tracks (and its not one down on the front) unless you have lots of extra power and a slipper clutch.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I used a healtech on my storm, and it seemed to self calibrate when I changed sprockets by itself.
On the SP2 I used a power commander v add on, which had the advantage that you could easily enter a code, such as 13.77 or 11.63 which compensates for the variation between revs and speed to give an accurate speedo reading.
Not sure if it adjusted the gear indicator at the same time, but again, when changing sprockets it just worked afterwards.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

I fitted a 2wrs unit from Spain via ebay.
Removed the clocks and soldered the wires splicing in,much easier than connecting to the loom and you can always buy a set of clocks
if needed.
Easy to fit and calibrate with instructions via email.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can get one with a voltmeters built in, useful as an early warning for RR failures
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Another thumbs up for the HealTech here. Easy to install and very crisp and accurate 👍
Insufferable halfwit.