Caliper and mounting bolts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bigtwinthing

Caliper and mounting bolts

Post by bigtwinthing »

So do I fit new high grade s/s caliper bolts with copper slip and torque to normal, or lock tight? I do know alloy and s/s can corrode together.

I also have s/s mounting bolts to secure the callipers to the Fork legs, is that a good idea?

Ta in advance BTT
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
MacV2

Re: Caliper and mounting bolts

Post by MacV2 »

I'd torque them up to spec dab of locktight... I strip & clean me callipers every six months so they dont have time to corode...

There is an anti seize compound for ally but you obviously can't use both...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Alumi ... Sw42JZFNEp
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

don't use copperslip and torque to normal, it'll be too much and the bolts may stretch or snap, infact just don't use copperslip.. I didn't use anything on mine and don't remember there being locktight on the threads to start with, they don't do up as tight as you might think. if you do then use a semi permanent locktight.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Thanks Chaps.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I may be wrong, but I thought the OEM bolts come with locking compound already on them, which is why Honda say to replace them each time you remove them. Instead of replacing them, a clean and re-application of a dab of Loctite and you're good.

I've never used (and never needed) copper grease on them. As said above, using grease and the standard torque setting will lead to overtightening and possible stretching of the bolts.