Bigger clutch slave cylinder.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Japcati

Bigger clutch slave cylinder.

Post by Japcati »

Hi folks.
Do any other Honda bikes use bigger clutch slave cylinders than the Firestorm.

What about the Cbr1000rr?

Another Firestorm owner suggested to me about using a bigger clutch slave to get a better clutch feel and less grab when launching hard away from the lights.

Thanks.
Wicky

Re: Bigger clutch slave cylinder.

Post by Wicky »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34018&p=343936&hilit=dished#p343936
THERE IS A CURE for clutch snatch off the line under racing conditions but it will cost a fair amount and you have to decide if it is worth it for you. It was for Revolution Racing.
Here is the answer to your problem.
1) "Lazer" cut a number (say 6) steel clutch plates out of Spring Steel. Make them the same thickness as the OEM steel plate
2) Pressure dish the plates by 5mm.
3) Find a spring maker to heat treat the plates so they are now a diaphragm spring plate
4) Rebuild the clutch stack substituting one or two of the OEM steel plates(depending on the power output of the engine) with the new Spring Steel dished metal plates.
You now have a "Diaphragm" clutch.
Problem solved
Over time the plates will lose their spring strength that is why I recommend you make six of them
If you wish to discuss this in more detail please ring me on 07970 915259 anytime
Hope this is of help
Roger
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Japcati wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:45 pm Hi folks.
Do any other Honda bikes use bigger clutch slave cylinders than the Firestorm.

What about the Cbr1000rr?

Another Firestorm owner suggested to me about using a bigger clutch slave to get a better clutch feel and less grab when launching hard away from the lights.

Thanks.
I've found the install of a Oberon slave cylinder gives better clutch feel.
http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/aca ... inder.html

The clutch disk flutter that happens aggressive launches can still happen with the Oberon, but less so on my bike
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

From a post I made in mid 2016 on page 11 of my build thread;
Twitchy wrote: Mon May 30, 2016 12:58 am... I have left the right side cover off for the moment while I play with an STM billet clutch slave cylinder from a 2006 CBR1000RR I was given. I can report this slave cylinder does bolt up, but requires a spacer to be made up to get the clutch to move. The spacer I made up is about 8mm long, brass and works well. I measured the movement at the clutch pressure plate to check the difference, with the clicker on '6' (furthest from bar) the STM slave throws about 2.8mm vs. about 2.3mm for the factory. At clicker position '1' (closest to bar) the STM was about 1.7mm vs. about 1.1mm for the factory unit. However, the pull at the lever is considerably harder. The guy I got it off took it off because it was too hard, and I am inclined to agree with him. Around town stop start traffic, this slave will be a problem....
The spacer I refer to there is to lengthen the clutch pushrod just so we are clear...

And my faded memory says the STM slave cylinder diameter was 2mm smaller than OEM. But that was.... a while ago :think:
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638