Drive Chain rubbing on left exhaust when Not riding.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Denzil

Drive Chain rubbing on left exhaust when Not riding.

Post by Denzil »

Drive Chain rubbing on left exhaust when Not riding VTR.

Hi All, Just a quickie here, as above. When i am sat on the bike then the chain just clears the exhaust. What are peoples thoughts on this, i am thinking out loud when i take it to the MOT station here in the UK, will the inspector query this?
There a few small marks on the exhaust where it has been rubbing but merely a cleaned area TBH on the exhaust.

I can adjust the chain a little bit, maybe adjust the shock a little bit to take up the slack away from the exhaust, failing this then maybe a small jubilee clip on the exhaust so it does Not rub the actual exhaust ??

The chain is in really good condition and is adjusted correctly, the only issue is when you are pushing the bike in and out of the garage for example you can hear the chain just touching the exhaust. Once sat on then it is clear.

Cheers.
MacV2

Re: Drive Chain rubbing on left exhaust when Not riding.

Post by MacV2 »

Denzil wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:44 pm Drive Chain rubbing on left exhaust when Not riding VTR.

Hi All, Just a quickie here, as above. When i am sat on the bike then the chain just clears the exhaust. What are peoples thoughts on this, i am thinking out loud when i take it to the MOT station here in the UK, will the inspector query this?
There a few small marks on the exhaust where it has been rubbing but merely a cleaned area TBH on the exhaust.

I can adjust the chain a little bit, maybe adjust the shock a little bit to take up the slack away from the exhaust, failing this then maybe a small jubilee clip on the exhaust so it does Not rub the actual exhaust ??

The chain is in really good condition and is adjusted correctly, the only issue is when you are pushing the bike in and out of the garage for example you can hear the chain just touching the exhaust. Once sat on then it is clear.

Cheers.
Idealy when you adjust the chain someone should be sitting on it as when you sitting on it the suspension compressing alters the angels of the dangels & takes up the slack a bit... So you adust the chain accordingly if no one is sitting on it... In other words it's easy to adjust it too tight. The left hand link has a dent in it from the factory to allow some chain rub...

Of course if the chain is past it's sell by date it will be a bit baggy anyway... Grab the chain on the rear sprocket, if you can pull it off the sprocket...basicaly the chain is fooked...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Have you an aftermarket exhaust?
Mine use to rub with the tiniest stretch in the chain.
If it is an aftermarket link pipe, has it been fitted correctly? They can be buggers to get right and still make the cans look balanced
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's not unusual to hear the chain links touch the link pipe when wheeling it backwards, but not forwards.
If so, just ignore it.
But as said in other recent posts, do the chain tension with someone on the bike, otherwise its too tight.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.