Headlight improvements

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Headlight improvements

Post by jchesshyre »

I've fitted relays to my headlight system which has obviously made it a lot brighter, but I still find on unlit roads that corners freak me out a bit in the dark if I don't know the road. My old CB500 ('98) only has a single H4 bulb as well, mounted in an old-school round reflector, but for some reason I find it much more relaxing to ride in the dark, despite not even having relays fitted. It's something about the beam pattern, I think. There's a faint chance that this is simply because I tend to go a little faster on the Firestorm, although I don't think this is it, since I probably actually take most corners quicker in the dark on the CB because of the better beam pattern! The CB's headlight turns with the handlebars whereas of course the Firestorm's doesn't, but I don't think this is it as obviously you don't turn the bars to go round corners.

Anyone have any suggestions to improve things? I don't want to go down the LED route but I'm wondering whether I should get a higher wattage bulb. Or, perhaps, just a different model of bulb that has a better beam pattern than the Osram 'Original Line' one I have at the mo?
Wicky

Re: Headlight improvements

Post by Wicky »

"CB's headlight turns with the handlebars"

Countersteering??

Experiment with a different bulb i.e. https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs ... ingle-pack or failing that a slighty higher wattage bulb - make sure connections are clean and protected with silcone grease from corrosion - to lessen risk of melting the nylon bulb connector. Consider a ceramic H4 bulb holder. If using a normal higher wattage bulb keep an eye on the plastic lens in case the extra heat melts it. Regulary wash the clear lens to maintain optimum output. Seen folk complain about headlight performance while the lens is covered in film of road grime esp when salting begins.

If you want extra lighting then consider auxiliary lighting kit as used on adventure bikes - keep track of demand on alternator esp if used with heated grips.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENALI-2-0-D ... 3676598881
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I ran an 80/100 watt bulb with the plastic connector with no problems.
I fitted two relays, one for low and one for high and ran the feed side direct to battery via an inline fuse.
No melting problems, but if I came to a stop for a while I dropped it to side lights.
The melting connector only occurs if the connections aren't clean and making a good fit.
It's when they arc across a loose connection that there's an issue, as that creates a lot of localised heat.
And clean the reflector surface.
You have to get in with a bit of cloth on a wire, with window cleaner, and let it evaporate before refitting the bulb.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Wicky wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:19 pm "CB's headlight turns with the handlebars"

Countersteering??
jchesshyre wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:11 pm The CB's headlight turns with the handlebars whereas of course the Firestorm's doesn't, but I don't think this is it as obviously you don't turn the bars to go round corners.
:D

Thanks guys, I will ponder all this. I tried cleaning the reflector a while ago with a bottle brush with partial success, but I'll give what Tony's suggested a go as I can see it making quite a big difference to clean it really properly. I'll also experiment with some different 60/55W bulbs and then higher powered ones if that doesn't get it where I want it. Still can't understand why my CB's light is so much more effective, even without relays!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

the reflector on vtrs seem to have a very sharp cut off. a bigger bulb may help but the better light will still be shinning on the same part of the road, i found mine needed more of a spread in corners which i just put up with in the end.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Well last night I did a 130-mile ride in the dark and rain, a fair bit of which was on unlit A roads, so this was a good chance to assess how my headlight is now. As I said I have relays fitted but have changed to an Osram Night Racer 110 bulb now as well. What I've concluded is that my headlight is actually really pretty good now – the issue I think is that I'm simply expecting too much and kind of hoping to be able to ride on unlit, unfamiliar twisty roads at a pace not far off what I'd do during daylight, which clearly is not realistic (or sensible). I love how during the day you can read the road ahead and often see what bends are coming up or get clues as to their sharpness from hedges etc. – of course at night there are very few of these clues available and I think I've been blaming the headlight for not being as bright as the sun :lol: I have also realised that my visor is really quite scratched/swirly so have ordered a replacement – it's bloody annoying when oncoming headlights make it suddenly impossible to discern any detail in the road ahead.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

jchesshyre wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:07 pm Well last night I did a 130-mile ride in the dark and rain, a fair bit of which was on unlit A roads, so this was a good chance to assess how my headlight is now. As I said I have relays fitted but have changed to an Osram Night Racer 110 bulb now as well. What I've concluded is that my headlight is actually really pretty good now – the issue I think is that I'm simply expecting too much and kind of hoping to be able to ride on unlit, unfamiliar twisty roads at a pace not far off what I'd do during daylight, which clearly is not realistic (or sensible). I love how during the day you can read the road ahead and often see what bends are coming up or get clues as to their sharpness from hedges etc. – of course at night there are very few of these clues available and I think I've been blaming the headlight for not being as bright as the sun :lol: I have also realised that my visor is really quite scratched/swirly so have ordered a replacement – it's bloody annoying when oncoming headlights make it suddenly impossible to discern any detail in the road ahead.
its a strange feeling riding at night on unlit roads, but also great on a nice cool evening to have the roads pretty much to yourself, just at a slower pace :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

" I love how during the day you can read the road ahead and often see what bends are coming up or get clues as to their sharpness from hedges etc. "

There are often some visual clues that can help in bend assessment, and for sure hedges, tree lines, telegraph poles are amongst them, but if you've never heard of it, look up 'vanishing point' for what is probably the best tool available. 😊👍
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

With a bit of dosh and an IR headlight and FLIR goggles

https://www.scottcountry.co.uk/night-vi ... n-goggles/

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Wicky wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:38 pm With a bit of dosh and an IR headlight and FLIR goggles

https://www.scottcountry.co.uk/night-vi ... n-goggles/

Hahaha, amazing. And I've been wondering what I should do with that four grand's worth of 2p coins I've collected over the years...
Pezed wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:23 pm
" I love how during the day you can read the road ahead and often see what bends are coming up or get clues as to their sharpness from hedges etc. "

There are often some visual clues that can help in bend assessment, and for sure hedges, tree lines, telegraph poles are amongst them, but if you've never heard of it, look up 'vanishing point' for what is probably the best tool available. 😊👍
Yeah I do know about this and it is indeed great, but I find on an unlit twisty road at night the headlight often doesn't illuminate far enough round the bend, especially on right handers, to be able to use it much...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:07 pm Well last night I did a 130-mile ride in the dark and rain, a fair bit of which was on unlit A roads, so this was a good chance to assess how my headlight is now. As I said I have relays fitted but have changed to an Osram Night Racer 110 bulb now as well. What I've concluded is that my headlight is actually really pretty good now – the issue I think is that I'm simply expecting too much and kind of hoping to be able to ride on unlit, unfamiliar twisty roads at a pace not far off what I'd do during daylight, which clearly is not realistic (or sensible). I love how during the day you can read the road ahead and often see what bends are coming up or get clues as to their sharpness from hedges etc. – of course at night there are very few of these clues available and I think I've been blaming the headlight for not being as bright as the sun :lol: I have also realised that my visor is really quite scratched/swirly so have ordered a replacement – it's bloody annoying when oncoming headlights make it suddenly impossible to discern any detail in the road ahead.
Good to know the results of the new headlamp bulb, thanks for posting :thumbup:

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

It's definitely improved, but I could also be still a lot happier with it... might investigate a 55/100W or similar.

I was adjusting the headlight as its been a while since I'd done that. However I'd never fiddled with the horizontal adjustment before, though found it doesn't really seem to do that much that I could tell at all. Is this normal or is mine broken? I'd have imagined that it should respond in the same way as the vertical adjuster, except horizontally.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:15 am It's definitely improved, but I could also be still a lot happier with it... might investigate a 55/100W or similar.

I was adjusting the headlight as its been a while since I'd done that. However I'd never fiddled with the horizontal adjustment before, though found it doesn't really seem to do that much that I could tell at all. Is this normal or is mine broken? I'd have imagined that it should respond in the same way as the vertical adjuster, except horizontally.
I'm the same as you, never tried adjusting the horizontal adjuster. I too would have expected it to respond in the same way as the vertical adjuster, just horizontally,

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Some further thoughts on this:

I have installed a 100/55W bulb which, together with having relays already installed, is a very nice improvement.

More importantly (at least this has made the biggest difference), I found I had my headlight beam too low. I'd adjusted it based on the level of the dipped beam (which I think is what you're meant to do) but this left the main beam too low. I *think* (guessing here) that the reflector is made so that on the standard suspension the main beam is more or less right when the dipped beam is adjusted correctly. However I have Hagon fork springs and shock so the geometry will be slightly different, so perhaps this is why my main beam was too low... Halfway through a journey home from Oxford (c. 150 miles) in the dark last night I raised the beam a bit, and although the 100W main beam is great, changing the angle has made the biggest difference to me, I think.

Thirdly, I was wearing some Davida goggles with yellow-tinted lenses which I've had for a while but not used much. Although opinions differ as to how much these help (some argue that even if the contrast is higher with yellow lenses, because the overall light level transmitted is lower the net effect is a reduction in vision), I found that this really did help with reducing the dazzling effect of oncoming headlights. The lenses are a quite pale tint so there is no perceived loss of brightness.

Hope these thoughts might be helpful or at least vaguely interesting!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:03 pm Some further thoughts on this:

I have installed a 100/55W bulb which, together with having relays already installed, is a very nice improvement.

More importantly (at least this has made the biggest difference), I found I had my headlight beam too low. I'd adjusted it based on the level of the dipped beam (which I think is what you're meant to do) but this left the main beam too low. I *think* (guessing here) that the reflector is made so that on the standard suspension the main beam is more or less right when the dipped beam is adjusted correctly. However I have Hagon fork springs and shock so the geometry will be slightly different, so perhaps this is why my main beam was too low... Halfway through a journey home from Oxford (c. 150 miles) in the dark last night I raised the beam a bit, and although the 100W main beam is great, changing the angle has made the biggest difference to me, I think.

Thirdly, I was wearing some Davida goggles with yellow-tinted lenses which I've had for a while but not used much. Although opinions differ as to how much these help (some argue that even if the contrast is higher with yellow lenses, because the overall light level transmitted is lower the net effect is a reduction in vision), I found that this really did help with reducing the dazzling effect of oncoming headlights. The lenses are a quite pale tint so there is no perceived loss of brightness.

Hope these thoughts might be helpful or at least vaguely interesting!
Some interesting thoughts there :thumbup:

Thanks for posting,

Chris.