High rise handle bars

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Tickymonks

High rise handle bars

Post by Tickymonks »

Just rode my mates with conversion can this be done without chopping fairing
AMCQ46

Re: High rise handle bars

Post by AMCQ46 »

do you mean fitting flat bars in place of clip-ons, or are you talking about fitting higher clip-ons?

not tried the clip on route, but I thought Suzuki SV650 clip-ons gave a higher position and didn't need cut, and you can also space your stock bars up the fork legs by more than 20mm without cutting.

for flat bars, I used Ultra low bend bars and needed to cut a very small amount off the rear/bottom lip, and you cant actually notice it. ... witt try and post a picture later

you could also go for true flat bars [called drag bars] that have no upward bend, but I haven't tried them so cant say if they will avoid cutting.
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
Tickymonks

Post by Tickymonks »

Thanks for the reply so sv650 clip ons fit the VTRs forks?
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Yes to SV bars. And yes to drag bars, but I had to add a bit to the lock stops. Just stuck on with contact.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Tickymonks wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:03 pm Just rode my mates with conversion can this be done without chopping fairing
Yes, Renthal Ultra Low handlebars can be fitted with the right handlebar-risers and steering lock stops fitted so you don't need to trim the fairing.

You can read all about my conversion here:- viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41099&p=447870

Chris.
MaroonMachine

Post by MaroonMachine »

Or use top yoke off a cb400
:biggrin
Not So lean,Not so mean,Ex-Maroon Machine
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Or if you are just after the bars being higher get a set of adjustable bars like Apex .

There are other brands available I'm sure however I forget their names.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Tickymonks

Post by Tickymonks »

Thanks for all replies gives me a few options
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:14 pm you could also go for true flat bars [called drag bars] that have no upward bend, but I haven't tried them so cant say if they will avoid cutting.
I tried drag style bars before going with the Renthal bars. I mocked up a set of handlebars using copper pipe (take note not for riding the bike, just checking to see if they would work before buying some), I found due to no rise in the bars the banjo bolts of the original OEM clutch and front brake master cylinders both fouled the fork legs (stanchions), the part which sits above the top yoke. Probably a longer/wider style of drag bars may have worked.
MaroonMachine wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:58 pm Or use top yoke off a cb400
:biggrin
IIRC using a CB400 top yoke means you have to drop the forks down the yokes so the handlebars can be positioned above the fork stanchions to a degree. This is counter productive in getting the best from the suspension by dropping the forks down the yokes, it won't handle as well as it could, more noticeable if you are running after market suspension,

Chris.
MaroonMachine

Post by MaroonMachine »

Mine,came with the cb400 top yoke.It handles ok and I don't get any problems in th twisters or straights :biggrin
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

MaroonMachine wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:49 am Mine,came with the cb400 top yoke.It handles ok and I don't get any problems in th twisters or straights :biggrin
can you send a photo of the yokes from the side showing the amount of fork leg that is sticking out above the top of the yoke, and how close it gets to the bars?
will help us understand if the CB400 yoke is compromised as Chris thinks. is you are pushing the forks down to miss the bars, then this will slow down the steering .......... most of us have gone the other way by both putting spacer under rear shock to jack the back end up AND drop the front end by moving the forks up through the yokes.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MaroonMachine wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:49 am Mine,came with the cb400 top yoke.It handles ok and I don't get any problems in th twisters or straights :biggrin
That's good :thumbup:
AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:54 am
can you send a photo of the yokes from the side showing the amount of fork leg that is sticking out above the top of the yoke, and how close it gets to the bars?
will help us understand if the CB400 yoke is compromised as Chris thinks.
If you are pushing the forks down to miss the bars, then this will slow down the steering .......... most of us have gone the other way by both putting spacer under rear shock to jack the back end up AND drop the front end by moving the forks up through the yokes.
That is a very good idea Al, a side on photo would be very helpful,

Chris.
MaroonMachine

Post by MaroonMachine »

Image side on pic,also has 6mm spacer.Now also has Blackbird sidestand :biggrin
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

You also got any close up side photos showing the forks and yoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ