Front brake discs.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jbf955i

Front brake discs.

Post by jbf955i »

Hi guys. I noticed today on that the front discs are wrapped, lots of shuddering under heavy braking. My question is- what should I replace them with? Standard or aftermarket upgrades?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers Jason

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

tony.mon

Re: Front brake discs.

Post by tony.mon »

Clean the buttons first.
You can use a nut and bolt through each one to make sure they move freely.
A rawlbolt or other fixing is also good.
If you need new discs check out which other bikes they're fitted to, some are cheaper than storm ones, simply because the other bike was more popular.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jbf955i

Post by jbf955i »

Thanks for the advice Tony. I have very limited knowledge of fixing anything on my bike. Can you please explain what you mean about cleaning the buttons first?

Cheers Jason

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

As Tony sugests try spinning the bobbins first, use a bit of brake cleaner on them.

When they are really gunked up you'll be supprised by how much dust & crap comes out when you spin them.

The big test to see if your disks are fubar... Kneel beside the bike, grasp the disk as a clock face at 1/4 to 3. Floating disks shuld have a bit of movement in & out. They should not move s front to back, so holding the disk try turning it like a stearing wheel, if you have any movement the bobbins are shot & therefore so is the disk... Had an advisory on this on an MOT in the past.

You can of course pick up 2nd hand std disks but you wont know until you fit them & do the above test if they are any good.

New standard disks are still listed...200 quid per disk 8O

New EBC disk quite common, Armstrong do them...

The Storm disc is a bit unique as it's dished, one web site I've looked at says it only fits the Storm, whilst another lists the CBR600f3 as using the same discs...its the same part number & the same price OEM... 45220-MBB-D41

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 5220MBBD41

The other thing I would sugest you do is make sure the callipers are working as they should, a sticking piston isn't gonna do new discs any favours...

The callipers have to come out of the way to get the wheel off so have a good look at the pads & give the lever a squeeze to see if all 4 pistons move in & out...If good you'll have to lever them apart to get them back over the discs... But if you see any pistons not moving then its calliper strip time.

On my commuter clonker I'll be doing 350 miles per week, the callipers get a refresh every 6 months, compleate strip & clean & fresh fluid, I have a spare set so I just change the callipers over & then have 6 months to refurb the ones I've replaced.

Price wise you can of course get cheap chinese ones... Now there is huge agment out there about if these are any good, you hear some good reveiws & some not so good... Personaly I wouldn't use them, It's alright going fast but at some point you have to stop so your brakes are quite important to keeping you out of A&E or the crematorium... 8O

At the end of the day it's your money so get what you feel you can afford but it's also your life at risk here, got to worth a few bucks surely...

If your not confidant with takling a break strip down then take them to someone who knows what they are doing...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

jbf955i wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:20 pm Thanks for the advice Tony. I have very limited knowledge of fixing anything on my bike. Can you please explain what you mean about cleaning the buttons first?

Cheers Jason

As you look at the disc, the outer part, the bit the pads bite onto are joined to the inner, gold web, by a number of BOBBINS...

Get a bolt that fits through the hole, a washer on each side of the disc & put a nut on the bolt. do it up tight, then turn it, thus turning the bobbin. I use ratchet to do the turning give it a few turns one way then reverse the ratchet & do the same the other way, once the dust has come out spray a bit of brake cleaner on & spin it again...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
jbf955i

Post by jbf955i »

Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated.

I have now freed all the bobbins, not one was free . Also removed brake caliper, pads are worn and the pistons loked ceased. New pads are on order which will be changed tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Cheers Jason