it's a bloody Mystery

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Biggles006

it's a bloody Mystery

Post by Biggles006 »

Gidday Groupies...
I have a 2006 BLACK VTR1000F Firestorm. She is beautiful...
I had noticed that the starter motor wasn't quite turning the old girl over as easily as she used to... hit the starter button and there would be a shrill noise and nothing happening. Nothing turning over. I put it down to a dying battery or the starter beginning to fade away...

I tried to start it last week and it just wouldn't turn the engine over. I push started her (run and jump) and she started easily and ran well. when i stopped for fuel she, once again, failed to turn the engine over. Another run and jump (great exercise, by the way)... she runs fine when running.

On Saturday i fitted a new starter and then a new starter relay.

Nothing has changed. It has power. it "throws", makes a terrible noise and the engine kicks over briefly (maybe one full cycle, but i doubt it)... I've had a power "trickler" charging her.

I am out of ideas... what else can i try? What else could it be?
The engine is fine (not seized).
The engine runs perfectly (when i do get it started).
heeeeelp!

Perplexed...Biggles
Wicky

Re: it's a bloody Mystery

Post by Wicky »

Sounds like the starter clutch:

Starter motor problems.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Biggles006

Post by Biggles006 »

Wicky!
You're a bloody genius... it HAS to be that... (honestly, i didn't know there was one..or I would have checked it)...

Cheers, Mate.
Biggles
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No, it isn't the sprag clutch.
There are transfer gears between the starter motor and the sprag clutch that are two gears on a single shaft.
These need replacing.
I posted a how to about exactly this in the workshop knowledgebase some years back, it's named starting problems or something like that.
Do this first, and you'll get it fixed.
It's the screech that gives it away....
Last edited by tony.mon on Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Biggles006

Post by Biggles006 »

Hi Tony,

You are 100% correct. I wish i had checked earlier. I put it in to a bike shop (a Honda bike shop) and they have just come to the same realisation after 2 weeks. It's going to cost me around $600 (pounds) by the time I've covered parts and labour... an expensive lesson!

Thanks again, Tony. I will shout out here before taking it to the wallies at Honda next time. Biggles
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i had the very same problem with one of mine, as you have found out the gear gives up the ghost, from what i rem it should only turn one was, i got mine welded and pinned and its still going strong about 4 years later
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: