Wiring

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
legendlives

Wiring

Post by legendlives »

I have a bit of an issue - or may have a bit of an issue - with the dash wiring on my VTR.
The wiring has been butchered elsewhere on the bike which is easily redeemable, but the dash wiring is odd:
The plugs and sockets fit together with no issue, but the wiring colours don't line up. All the colours are there on both plug and socket but they don't correspond to each other.
Although the bike was running before I 'immobilised' it, I don't recall whether the dash was working.
It's a 2001 bike. Could anyone take a quick look behind their dash and let me know whether I'm going to be unpinning sockets or not?

Ta!
I like my bikes like my women - Loud with two big cylinders :D
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: Wiring

Post by firestorm_al »

Is this any use to you?

legendlives

Post by legendlives »

Yes, I've got that schematic.
I'm happy to re-pin all of the connectors but I want to check with other VTR owners whether the colours in the connectors do correspond with each other or not.

Thanks!
Duffy1964

Wiring

Post by Duffy1964 »

I seem to remember when I was testing a different speedo on my fighter that the original colours didn’t all match up on the standard storm set up, but plugged in and all worked fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
legendlives

Post by legendlives »

I suspected as much.
I can't imagine the previous owner would have had the nonce to do anything too technical - there was a broken wire in one of the connectors and he stuck it back in with silicone! :roll:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Good luck trying to sort it, I have had a few bikes with butchered wiring it can be real pita

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Could be handy to have a multimeter to hand and the manual/s.

Can you reconnect the battery and see what works or not?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

legendlives wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:01 am I have a bit of an issue - or may have a bit of an issue - with the dash wiring on my VTR.
The wiring has been butchered elsewhere on the bike which is easily redeemable, but the dash wiring is odd:
The plugs and sockets fit together with no issue, but the wiring colours don't line up. All the colours are there on both plug and socket but they don't correspond to each other.
Although the bike was running before I 'immobilised' it, I don't recall whether the dash was working.
It's a 2001 bike. Could anyone take a quick look behind their dash and let me know whether I'm going to be unpinning sockets or not?

Ta!
2001, should have the later digital dash yes?
And that dash has a connector that plugs directly into back of the dash..there is no other connectors like the 1998-2000 had or at least on a US 2001 that's how it would be.

Did you not get the digital dash on model year 2001 VTR1000Fs?

If you have the non digital dash with the two connectors, then yes your correct, by design the wire colors match on both sides of the connector wiring harness isde and dash side

That's not an always thing in bike wiring, its not uncommon for wire colors to change across a connector, but for the VTR analog dash they do say the same according to my OEM service manual wiring diagrams.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
legendlives

Post by legendlives »

Thanks for all of the help.
I started looking into it really closely last night and found a redundant loom which at one point must have had an alarm / immobiliser attached to it, and this had been spliced into the original connectors.
I'm going to rip the whole lot out and start again!
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

If your doing that you may as well fit a standard non butchered loom. At least then you have the best starting point to work from should any other issues arise.

Duffy1964
legendlives

Post by legendlives »

Yep, I'm returning it to standard. Already have new (correct) connector blocks and a fresh soldering iron!
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Well done

Duffy1964
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Im in the workshop, I can get some pics of the connectors.
rollingthunderx2

All the colours match in the connectors.
rollingthunderx2