Steering head bearings Lube

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Bikerbob

Steering head bearings Lube

Post by Bikerbob »

On some bikes its possible to spray grease into the bearing from underneath with a long tube. Is this a possibility on the VTR or are the bearings sealed /shielded too well?.
tony.mon

Re: Steering head bearings Lube

Post by tony.mon »

You can't tell if it'll get to the correct place.
Just pull the wheel, mudguard, forks and steering head and regrease.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Sadly when I get a bike that far apart usually something else conspires to take my time away and there is danger that the bike may never appear again. I have a couple in that state now. And the guilty party is a big orange Honda!.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you can't be bothered or haven't got time to do the maintenance, take it to a workshop.

Wafting a spray of wd40 in its general direction isn't maintenance.

Having said that, the dust seals on the top and bottom races stop dust and grit ingress but also prevent you lubing without disassembly.
If the last bearings fitted were good quality, fitted and adjusted properly and plenty of the correct grease was used, they are likely to be OK until they get notchy and the bearings need replacing.

Lift the bike over onto the sidestand pulling the front wheel off the ground, if you can feel any notchiness or centering at all, the bearings need to be replaced.
That only takes a minute to check...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

If you take the top yoke off and pull out the bearing, you can spray grease down onto the bottom bearing down the headstock.
WD 40 is complete shite, in tests in the aircraft industry it was found to cause corrosion, so is banned from use.
It clogs up electric connections rinses off protective grese and replaces it with uselesness doesnt properly lubricate, and is not a penetrating fluid.
I used to spray it on everything, then wonder why bits were still going rusty, so sprayed more on........
Now I use ACF50, switch cleaner, penetrating fluid, and advise anyone not to use WD 40.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

I have another bike that I installed taper rollers in some 25 years ago. The bearings are neither sealed or shielded and are still fine. A regular spray of foaming grease that solidifies is all it has needed. I don't use WD 40 or Muck Off, both are corrosive.. I do all my own maintenance work tyre fitting ,engine re-builds, welding, spoked wheel builds etc, The only work I reluctantly entrust to the trade is re.bores and crank grinds,even those I have to insist on my clearances despite what the experts say. Modern practise does not always work with old technology. The VTR is to me a very modern machine and I have a lot to learn, I very much doubt it will ever enter a dealers workshop again in my lifetime. Ist ride tomorrow.