Vtr fuel consumption

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Bikerbob

Vtr fuel consumption

Post by Bikerbob »

Has anyone tried fitting smaller carbs to improve fuel consumption, obviously the performance would suffer ,but that's not a problem for an old fart like me!!.
jchesshyre

Re: Vtr fuel consumption

Post by jchesshyre »

The XLV1000 Varadero (same engine if you're not aware) had 42 mm carbs instead of our 48 mm ones. It made 92 bhp. There may be threads on here about people using a pair of these on a Firestorm? I've no idea how do-able it would be.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's the early varadero, the later ones had injection.
Very do able, you could get away with just inlet rubbers and a set of vara carbs.

However the storm cams are more aggressive, so if you switch to vara cams and the ignition box as well it would reduce fuel consumption and give you a little more torque, at the expense of top end hp.

You'd probably get better fuel consumption figures than an early varadero, as you would have six gears.
And I think the vara is heavier than a storm.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
thelens

Post by thelens »

Speaking of fuel consumption :D
I went out on sunday, and while out I noticed my rear tyre was errrr cracking up, through errrr a lack of rubber :lol:
I obviously decided to make sure I was easy on the throttle as not to tear away the last remaining tad of rubber. Which would leave me running on
the webbing belt. Now I still ran upto 90 mph ! I just did not accelerate as hard as usual to get up there.
The difference was greater than I expected.
Normal running... at least normal for me...… I would be looking to top up after 60 miles. Warning light would come on around the 70 mark.
Which to be honest is pretty sh1t :D
On sunday, with my kinda forced none hard acceleration.... whoa ! The bike did a solid 120 miles on a single 16 litre tank :lol:
Blimey... that's twice the distance !
Or in my case.... twice the distance but half the fun :lol:

So if you seek better fuel consumption.... cruise at your cruising speeds, but do not accelerate hard to get there :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

thelens .... 70miles to red light on a 16L tank .... I get that on a track day! ... you should be getting >100miles to RLOD for general A road blasting [riding like a tw@t when conditions allow].

you might want to check your jetting
AMcQ
thelens

Post by thelens »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:37 pm thelens .... 70miles to red light on a 16L tank .... I get that on a track day! ... you should be getting >100miles to RLOD for general A road blasting [riding like a tw@t when conditions allow].

You missed the bit I wrote that states I got 120 miles from a full tank :D
The bike is standard at the moment, with standard gearing and exhaust.
I also suspect you have down geared your bike... I should think this would add towards your mileage. as the clock will run a bit higher :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

thelens wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:56 pm
AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:37 pm thelens .... 70miles to red light on a 16L tank .... I get that on a track day! ... you should be getting >100miles to RLOD for general A road blasting [riding like a tw@t when conditions allow].

You missed the bit I wrote that states I got 120 miles from a full tank :D
The bike is standard at the moment, with standard gearing and exhaust.
I also suspect you have down geared your bike... I should think this would add towards your mileage. as the clock will run a bit higher :D
not the case mate.. I spotted the fact you managed 120 when in a tyre saving mode, but if you drop to 70 miles on the road, there is something not right. ..... I don't hang about and will get minimum 100 miles every tank when in road mode [I have 3 mode settings ... race, road and rain, but they are in my head, not a switch on the bike, and none of them are optimised for ecomomy :D ]

also my gearing is standard, but I have pipes, filter and bell mouths modified, but it was set with a few dyno runs to get the fueling right again. but even in std form, it got the 100 mile figure before the light cam on.

only time mine ever got down to 70 miles away from the track was when it had the std pipes and filter put back on, but still had the jetting left for the race cans and filter. .... so you might want to check what jets are in it to see if they are standard.
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

as has been said, a storm getting 60/70 miles to a tank has a fuelling problem, iv had better at track days wringing its balls off more than will ever be done on a road..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: