Random engine cutout

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
templ8

Random engine cutout

Post by templ8 »

Never had this one before
Last night on the way to work in heavy traffic, I'd covered about 2 miles and was sat at the lights for a few minutes, as soon as I went for the throttle it cut out, no carb fart and no noises, just died on me.
Hit the starter and got nothing, wouldn't even turn over, cycled the kill switch off and on and tried the starter but nothing.
As It was slightly downhill I let it pick up speed and selected third, let the clutch out a bit to bump it, engine was turning over but not a hint of life so I pulled in.
Still in gear with the clutch in I hit the starter again and it sprung into life, rode the remaining 28 miles to work without an issue and it was fine on the return trip home this morning.

Remember checking the side stand switch light at the time and that wasn't on. Clutch switch?
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Templ8

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Last edited by templ8 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Re: Random engine cutout

Post by tony.mon »

Check for loose connections, battery leads etc, and wiggle all of the connectors with the bike running, but the clutch cutout switches tend to fail and stay failed in my experience.

Sidestand cutouts are sometimes temperamental, though, so try getting someone to hold the bike upright when running and in gear with the clutch in, then wiggle the sidestand around to see if you can get it to cut out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

The side stand switch is the usual issue for those kind of cut out issues. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I think Fabio had an issue recently and it was a neutral switch if I recall. If not just ignore my post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Was it a complete electrical shut down - were any instrument console lights working?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Lights and instruments were all ok, just no starter and no spark when bumping.

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

If the neutral light is on then that switch is fine which then makes things a bit odd in that the side stand switch and clutch switch shouldn't matter at that point. :eh: so check the main ground (earth) to make sure all is well there with both the cable and the terminals :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Thanks fellas, got a few things to check over this weekend.
I'll report back if I find anything.

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

my yellow one done that, until i noticed all my lights were working except the neutral light, turned out it was the neutral light switch was goosed :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
WarriorOne

Post by WarriorOne »

Hi, I'm actually trying to contact you about the fly wheels but seem to have ended up in the wrong location, no matter, I have a spare engine so sending you a fly wheel is no problem, can you tell me a bit about what to expect, is there a choice in degree of machining what I mean by that is will the performance be absolutely bonkers track style or is there an in between level of machining? What about factory timing marks,are they still visible?
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Pm sent.

templ8

Post by templ8 »

Had a good rummage around and the only thing I found was a build up of chain oil on the side stand switch.
Cleaned it up and have not had the issue since.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

templ8 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:20 am Had a good rummage around and the only thing I found was a build up of chain oil on the side stand switch.
Cleaned it up and have not had the issue since.

Fingers crossed that has fixed it :thumbup:

Chris.
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Not had a problem since

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

WarriorOne wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:10 am Hi, I'm actually trying to contact you about the fly wheels but seem to have ended up in the wrong location, no matter, I have a spare engine so sending you a fly wheel is no problem, can you tell me a bit about what to expect, is there a choice in degree of machining what I mean by that is will the performance be absolutely bonkers track style or is there an in between level of machining? What about factory timing marks,are they still visible?
im still doing them and yes you can pick from bonkers to kinda fast road type weight :clap: , the timing marks arnt effected as i leave them on :thumbup: you cant pm on here until you have i think 50 posts? if your on any of the facecake vtr pages?

iv sent you a wee pm.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: