Anodizing

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
StormyRob

Anodizing

Post by StormyRob »

Saw a kit for anodizing on ebay. Not expensive and maybe something to mess with.
What I want to ask is...

Can I just straight anodized a caliper? It's obviously a very thin coating. Will there be any issue with pistons etc if I just anodize the entire thing?
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
bigbadjonno

Re: Anodizing

Post by bigbadjonno »

From the Wikipedia page on anodising.

" Iron or carbon steel metal exfoliates when oxidized under neutral or alkaline microelectrolytic conditions; i.e., the iron oxide (actually ferric hydroxide or hydrated iron oxide, also known as rust) forms by anoxic anodic pits and large cathodic surface, these pits concentrate anions such as sulfate and chloride accelerating the underlying metal to corrosion"

Therefore, your pistons will go rusty. Very quickly.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

bigbadjonno wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:45 pm From the Wikipedia page on anodising.

" Iron or carbon steel metal exfoliates when oxidized under neutral or alkaline microelectrolytic conditions; i.e., the iron oxide (actually ferric hydroxide or hydrated iron oxide, also known as rust) forms by anoxic anodic pits and large cathodic surface, these pits concentrate anions such as sulfate and chloride accelerating the underlying metal to corrosion"

Therefore, your pistons will go rusty. Very quickly.
I don't want to sound stupid.... But I was going to take the pistons out and when the anodizing is finished will it then react with the pistons?
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

You could always take something like a brake cylinder hone and clean out the piston bores after you have anodized the calipers :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

I have made some anodizing testings.
I use sulfuric acid diluted with distilled water, an aluminium sheet as cathode, and aluminium wire for hanging the piece a power supply ,and specific colorants for anodizing bought on ebay. The results are very good after some tests. You have to use 1,5 A per square decimeter, for about one hour to have aprox 30 micron of protection. (Yes, the radius of the piston housing will be smaller after the anodizing). It doesn't affects to the threads, etc, but I don´t know if will affect to the piston tolerance.
After the anodizing, don´t forget to boil the piece 1 hour in distilled water to close the pores.
You can test before with scrap pieces, , you don´t need colorants for testing, just sulfuric acid, ( I got mine from an old car battery before to recycle) one aluminum sheet , some aluminum wire and a power supply.
Probably is possible to protect the piston housings to avoid the anodizing on this zones, but actually I don´t know how..
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Mark Gl_rs used to have a contact who did Anodising... Someone on here had a pair of callipers done...

So it can be done.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

A good 30 mins later...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35129
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

So KevL how are the callipers holding up ?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

How much do you think they'd charge to have "brembo" plated on to them?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:43 am How much do you think they'd charge to have "brembo" plated on to them?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Thanks for that Mac. I'd be keen to know how they held up also kev
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

StormyRob wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:12 am Thanks for that Mac. I'd be keen to know how they held up also kev
I'm sure he will be along in a bit...give him time he's old & bloo... :wink:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Hi. Chaps, I had mine anodised by a friend of Marks (GLS-R) Jay Reich. She works (worked?) at Acorn plating Ltd.
She did all three calipers and they still look as good as new. Well worth the very reasonable cost, not that I can remember exactly how much I paid.
If you’re interested Rob shoot me a PM and I’ll send you her number and e-mail.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF