JE high comp noise

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VT1000r

JE high comp noise

Post by VT1000r »

I just put in my JE 11.5 to 1 pistons and there amazing btw but when I go WOT it makes a louder than usual noise only from 5000 and stops before 6000rpm if I ease into the throttle it doesn't make that noise and as soon as i get passed 6000 rpm it stops I'm using high octane gas idk what it is do any of y'all know?
VT1000r

Re: JE high comp noise

Post by VT1000r »

VT1000r wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:22 am I just put in my JE 11.5 to 1 pistons and there amazing btw but when I go WOT it makes a louder than usual noise only from 5000 and stops before 6000rpm if I ease into the throttle it doesn't make that noise and as soon as i get passed 6000 rpm it stops I'm using high octane gas idk what it is do any of y'all know?
Is it possible that it's running lean at those rpms causing detonation idk what do y'all think?
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The only way to tell is on a Dyno but you could try raising the needles and see if it stops. If you haven't changed the filter of cans then I can't see the pistons making a difference to fueling.

What sort of noise are you hearing?
VT1000r

Post by VT1000r »

freeridenick wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:19 am The only way to tell is on a Dyno but you could try raising the needles and see if it stops. If you haven't changed the filter of cans then I can't see the pistons making a difference to fueling.

It was detonating, I switch out main jets and put snorkel back on now it completely stoped. Also I think it was running lean there before it just wasn't detonating because it wasn't making as much compression. I'm not all that impressed with the difference in power with these pistons and my tuning probley isn't helping but luckily there's no flat spots so that's a plus :thumbup:. Do you have the JE piston installed if so how is the difference for you on top end?
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Have you done anything else or just installed a set of pistons?
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VT1000r

Post by VT1000r »

[quote=8541Hawk post_id=475129 time=1559184227 user_id=11385]
Have you done anything else or just installed a set of pistons

I just removed the air box snorkel because when I disassembled the engine to put the pistons in the spark plugs were black so I went the easy route and instead of rejeting I just removed the snorkel. But way before before I put pistons in I did a lot of mods to it but it was running good with all those mods.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

VT1000r wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 am Do you have the JE piston installed if so how is the difference for you on top end?
Yes but I can't tell you what difference they made as they were part of a whole host of other changes. Good to hear you sorted your fueling issue.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

VT1000r wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:16 am I did a lot of mods to it but it was running good with all those mods.
Understandable but also we have no idea what you have done which makes it kind of difficult to trouble shoot over the net due to limited information. :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

VT1000r wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 am
freeridenick wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:19 am The only way to tell is on a Dyno but you could try raising the needles and see if it stops. If you haven't changed the filter of cans then I can't see the pistons making a difference to fueling.

It was detonating, I switch out main jets and put snorkel back on now it completely stoped. Also I think it was running lean there before it just wasn't detonating because it wasn't making as much compression. I'm not all that impressed with the difference in power with these pistons and my tuning probley isn't helping but luckily there's no flat spots so that's a plus :thumbup:. Do you have the JE piston installed if so how is the difference for you on top end?
If you just put hc pistons without appropriate cams, difference is small. And if the cylinders are not check for ovality in tolerance, it is kind of gamble.

There is only few horses in cr itself, note that vtr sp2 has 10.8 and sp1 even less.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Use a higher Ron fuel or an additive, especially if also using an ignition advancer.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VT1000r

Post by VT1000r »

Stephan wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:02 pm
VT1000r wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 am

If you just put hc pistons without appropriate cams, difference is small. And if the cylinders are not check for ovality in tolerance, it is kind of gamble.

There is only few horses in cr itself, note that vtr sp2 has 10.8 and sp1 even less.

Luckily they were in spec, barely but nonetheless still in spec.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

VT1000r wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:41 am
Not to belabor the point, but what spec? That for the OEM pistons or for the JE piston as they are not the same.

Pre Ignition or detonation is an easy diagnose, run a tank of high RON fuel, be it from a local track / race car supplier or piston engine aviation fuel.

Running a high RON fuel won't hurt anything but over all power, what it will do is stop all pre ignition issues if its just a static CR or cam overlap dynamic CR deal....
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training