Speedo weirdness

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Speedo weirdness

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:59 pm Update: turns out it was the speedo sensor.
Glad you found the culprit in the end, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

I've just tapped into this rather than start a new thread.

Some will remember my posts of exceeding 180 miles on a tank of fuel. :roll:

My naive mind snapped to attention when some suggested sprockets had been changed. I finally checked the front and it's 16, so I am all stock at 16/41. Symptoms are the speed reads higher and miles tick over as quick as kilometres. I'm figuring I also have the speed sensor problem.

Nothing erratic in the reading, and it really doesn't bother me, EXCEPT it will make my bike a higher mileage than it actually is, so I must repair post haste. Thanks to this thread I'd best check battery terminals first. Could save me 30-plus quid!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Any chance your bike was a European Grey import and it's only had the clock face changed to make it look like a GB bike?
Or, don't know if the miles are calculated in the ECU but if they are could it have been changed to an Euro one if the bike is and original brit one.
I thought the speed sensor normally went erratic or just quit when it went faulty. I haven't heard of one with your symptoms before????
Most odd :wtf:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Has it had a Speedo healer fitted and not calibrated properly?
Or a km clock with an overlay stuck on?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Thanks for your input Pete and Tony.

V5 has it as first reg in UK as 22/5/98, so I suspect it's not an import. I haven't poked around for a speedo healer specifically, but last time seat was off, I think I would have noted if there was something that looked non-original. It almost seems as if the relationship of the odometer is out of sync with the speedo, insomuch as the miles turn over at a higher ration of error than does the speed reading.

I was actually wondering about taking the cheap way out and just putting a 15T front sprocket on to negate the climbing mileage.

There is no overlay on the speedo. Pic below. The red 30 mph was a stick on by the previous fuddy-duddy owner 8O .
Attachments
200601 8.jpg
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

nigelrb wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:23 pm Thanks for your input Pete and Tony.

V5 has it as first reg in UK as 22/5/98, so I suspect it's not an import. I haven't poked around for a speedo healer specifically, but last time seat was off, I think I would have noted if there was something that looked non-original. It almost seems as if the relationship of the odometer is out of sync with the speedo, insomuch as the miles turn over at a higher ration of error than does the speed reading.

I was actually wondering about taking the cheap way out and just putting a 15T front sprocket on to negate the climbing mileage.

There is no overlay on the speedo. Pic below. The red 30 mph was a stick on by the previous fuddy-duddy owner 8O .
Well the clock face is not standard, so maybe they are KM clocks & the face has been replaced...

Std UK clocks the speedo is black...

Best bet is to try a different set of clocks & see what happens...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

UK Standard clocks

Continental clocks

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Thanks Mac and Wicky.

So I have an inbred clock :eek2 . I'll never be able to find out about that cos the bike came to me with nothing but 2 MoTs.

Makes me wonder now if it had been converted for someone maybe living in the Euro region for a while - hence the dual mph/kmh - and there is now a readout conflict. As previously written, I had felt as if the odometer was turning over in kilometres, but I think (in my limited Storm experience) these models don't have a conversion via the dash reset button.

New clocks might be the best solution. Is the mileage stored in the odometer or the ECU?
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Pete.L wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:21 am Any chance your bike was a European Grey import and it's only had the clock face changed to make it look like a GB bike? . . .
You're on to something, Pete.

On re-reading the V5, the front says: 'Declared new in GB by independent importer.' (Still first regd in UK on 22/5/98, according to DVLA)

So it seems something has been botched - possibly over the life of the bike, BUT it's had 8 previous owners so I'm surprised no one has rectified this, OR none of them had a clue or couldn't be bothered.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Not the first case of a speedo to go spontaneously continental

> speedo problem > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 2c981533c5

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Speedo weirdness

Post by Pete.L »

Interesting.
I wish I knew where info was held. ECU or clocks? Has anyone got a spare set you could swap out temporarily?
You don’t have to worry about the MOT they will just note a chang of clocks and list the original miles and the start miles of the new clocks
I suspect the clocks , Like Tony suggested. Probably had a little glitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The good news is, your bike has less miles on it than you thought.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:45 pm The good news is, your bike has less miles on it than you thought.
True Tony, but the downside might be convincing a prospective purchaser of that if/when the time comes to sell it.

No plans to do so of course. I might just leave it in my Will to an owner of a yellow Storm. Second thoughts, I won't - they'd probably repaint it yellow!! :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

lazy way, junk the clocks and get a uk set close as possible to the miles on the bike :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

True. As long as they're a little more than the milage at the last mot, you're good to go.