Location of Diagnostic connector ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Cousid

Location of Diagnostic connector ?

Post by Cousid »

Hi all,
Anyone know the location of the Diagnostic Connector, ( data link connector ), supposedly Red and 4 pole. Apparently you can plug in a Gear change indicator, straight in to this

Bike is a VTR1000 Firestorm, year 2000

Your help please.
8541Hawk

Re: Location of Diagnostic connector ?

Post by 8541Hawk »

That's a new one to me...... :eh:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Sure it's not a bit of kit for VTR SP / RC51 with Fi
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Wicky wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:03 pm Sure it's not a bit of kit for VTR SP / RC51 with Fi
SP / RC51 uses the same GPI as the VTR, in the three brands of GPI I use.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Cousid wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:05 pm Hi all,
Anyone know the location of the Diagnostic Connector, ( data link connector ), supposedly Red and 4 pole. Apparently you can plug in a Gear change indicator, straight in to this

Bike is a VTR1000 Firestorm, year 2000

Your help please.
Either your not working on a Honda VTR1000F (which does not have any such diag connector) Or you have a GPI / GPI set of instructions for the wrong bike.

If you are working on a A Honda VTR1000F Then Id ask, what brand GPI are you trying to install and what is the GPI part number?
Post event services

Total Rider
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Is this port supposed to be on a power commander?
I don't recognise anything from a Firestorm loom.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Cousid

Post by Cousid »

Hi all,

Thank you for response so far, please see link to product,

Product states suitable for VTR1000 all models, and is a plug in to Data link connector.

I have request fitting instructions from Idea ( who are in the USA ) which looks simple enough if only I can find the Red 4 pole male diagnostic connector or similar.

I can E-mail supplier again but thought one of you may know the location of this connector

Any help would be appreciated.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

For some strange reason Amazon links don't work on this forum - https://tinyurl.com/yxsjp5w4

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IDEA-Motorbike-Indicator-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B077XNYK3Z/ref=sr_1_2?crid=24OK7ZLVXGLN3&keywords=vtr1000+firestorm&qid=1556267111&s=gateway&sprefix=Vtr%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-2
it says it comes with a user installation manual and from the reviews seems to suggest it works with Hondas manufactured in the last decade or so and that there are installation & set up instruction videos on youtube - but it seems to be from a Chinese general goods cash & carry type distributer...

If it needs the neutral indicator just follow up the cable from the switch by your left foot to where it plugs into the loom ??

How to install a gear indicator on a VFR800 (02-05)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Cousid wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:26 am Hi all,

Thank you for response so far, please see link to product,

Product states suitable for VTR1000 all models, and is a plug in to Data link connector.

I have request fitting instructions from Idea ( who are in the USA ) which looks simple enough if only I can find the Red 4 pole male diagnostic connector or similar.

I can E-mail supplier again but thought one of you may know the location of this connector

Any help would be appreciated.
Ok, so its chinese copy of the HealTech
Nicely timed as I just got my latest gen HealTEch GPI yesterday in the mail.

Looking at the item in your link, it appears to be a direct pattern copy as the HealTech..
The two white connectors are used in between the speedo sensor and the wiring harness. Those connectors are found under the seat at the rear of the tank.

The speedo sensor is on the rear right side of the engine, follow that cable up to the bundle of connectors in a black boot under the seat.

The white three place connector coming from the speedo sensor gets unplugged from the harness, and the GPI connectors get patched in to them both.

The GPI long green /black wire will be attached to the ECU (Engine Control Unit) box. It is a flat box with multipin connectors. It is under the seat or right side behind the rear cowl depending on VTR year you have.
side fairing
Find the solid Yellow wire with thin Green stripe in the ECU connector, peel off the black sleeve (tape) that is wrapped around the ECU wires, leaving about 3 cm (1.2”) of the cables exposed.

Now the next part is what Id HIGHLY recommend not doing, but the instructions will tell you..
Connect the GPI Green wire to this wire, using the Red wire tap connector supplied.
I would avoid that...Id suggest getting a mate that has good soldiering skills, to add a pigtail wire to the ECU solid Yellow wire with thin Green stripe wire... Insulating the connection properly. Now crimp a single place connector on that pig tail and in the GPI wire, connect the two.

All that said..... My real suggestion is get a refund and order a Real HealTech GPI and wiring harness.

The Real deal has features the chinese pattern part does not.
Post event services

Total Rider
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

I installed one similar some weeks ago.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32855694 ... 63c0fQY8OM

It works really well. The speed sensor connector is plug and play, and yes, you have to find the correct wire in the CDI connector, and connect to the green wire. The information provided by the manufacturer for the green wire connector was correct, but, anyway I checked with the electrical drawing of the bike.
Cousid

Post by Cousid »

Hello All,

My thanks to everyone who replied, the information was very helpful, I am now ready to fit the unit when it arrives,

Regards,

Cousid