Another Speedo face replacement thread

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
E.Marquez

Another Speedo face replacement thread

Post by E.Marquez »

Because sometimes you just have to do it, because you can.

Even better that it was an actual MOD for the betterment of the bike, topped off with because you can.

HUGE shout out to Wicky, without him this project would have been dead in the water before it started.

VTR Speedo, easy to read on the 1998-2000, crap to read on the 2001 and up.
The backlighting on 2001- up has white light through red plastic overlay is crap compared to the white back lighting though white on the early models.
why.jpg
why.jpg (37.19 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
Adding additional lights on the front side helped https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ighting-33868/
The later model speedo face has smaller digits and those digits cramped closer together on the late model speedo face, and the dual markings of KPH all add up to a mash up blur "stuff" when trying to take a peak at your speedo in use...

So the task was a new speedo face that got rid of all the "unneeded" stuff.

The VTR in stock and even modestly modified form is not capable regardless of what your buddies uncle said the bike would go before he sold it to you...
Add to that I run lower gearing, and max speed it 148 at redline (which my bike pulls quickly vice a stock geared one that....well argue that on a different post along with talk of unicorns, 100 MPG you get from your VTR, that time you went 186 MPH and other fantasy topics)

For me, a speedo face that had numbers above 150 or so was a waste of space...
Plus I don't need the dual speed markings so we can do away with those as well for a cleaner uncluttered presentation.
An idea was born.... create a new speedo face with the numbers and hash marks larger and more spread out using a smaller speed range and remove all unneeded markings.
New face.jpg
New face.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
New face lighted.jpg
New face lighted.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
To do this you need a electronic speedo correction unit and a new speedo face....I had the correction unit already (HealTech V4) and a Mate here with the ability to make the new face...

The install was done weeks ago, but just got around to working on the correction factor that allowed near perfect MPH readings at 10-140 ^
I run 15/43 gearing,180/55 ZR 17 73W Pilot Road 4,and right now the V4 is at -14.8%

I made several runs past a radar gun last night, and confirmed my GPS findings that I'm off just a hair at 30MPH, and 1/2 mph at 100 or so and up.
Changing another .1% takes it further off so I'm as good as I can get with this gearing / tire size
new_speedo_face.jpeg
new_speedo_face.jpeg (59.12 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training