Quick one about front end alignment

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Quick one about front end alignment

Post by jchesshyre »

I binned the Storm in May 2017 and since then have had a slight misalignment in the front end that I can't get rid of.

Handling is not affected, but when riding in a straight line the bars are slightly turned to the right. It's also possible to see that the mudguard isn't totally aligned with the front wheel.

Forks were replaced, and I've checked the axle for straightness. Am I right in thinking that the only other part which could be responsible is the steering stem/lower yoke? I have a spare one which I'm waiting till steering head bearing replacement time to change, but is there any other component that I should check that could be causing this?
Duffy1964

Re: Quick one about front end alignment

Post by Duffy1964 »

I would say your assumption is correct the bottom yoke and stem are pretty flimsy if you’ve had an off. My Storm was the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

First try loosening the mudguard fixings, but don't remove completely, loosen the lower tree fixings and then gripping the tyre between your knees, twist until straight.
If that doesn't work, tighten up the lower yoke bolts again, then one at a time, loosen both the upper and lower tree bolts on one fork leg only, and rotate the upper stanchion 180 degrees. Then tighten the bolts that side, and do the same for the other side.
That will reveal whether it's the stanchions that are slightly out of line, or the yoke.

Don't forget to retighten the mudguard bolts afterwards.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:29 pm First try loosening the mudguard fixings, but don't remove completely, loosen the lower tree fixings and then gripping the tyre between your knees, twist until straight.
If that doesn't work, tighten up the lower yoke bolts again, then one at a time, loosen both the upper and lower tree bolts on one fork leg only, and rotate the upper stanchion 180 degrees. Then tighten the bolts that side, and do the same for the other side.
That will reveal whether it's the stanchions that are slightly out of line, or the yoke.

Thanks for that Tony. AFAIK mine has never been dropped but it's been ever so slightly out of alignment for ages. Does not effect the handling but if you look closely my OCD sees it every time. I'll try the last method. Have tried the others already.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:29 pm First try loosening the mudguard fixings, but don't remove completely, loosen the lower tree fixings and then gripping the tyre between your knees, twist until straight.

Thanks Tony. I've already replaced the forks (damper rods were fckd and they were generally a bit shoddy) so I know it's not them. But will try the first thing you describe.

As I say, handling doesn't seem off and the bike doesn't pull to one side if I let go of the handlebars, but it is a noticeable misalignment, such that it initially feels weird to ride after I've been on my other bike for a bit (as in, why does my left arm suddenly feel shorter than my right arm? :lol: )
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

There's also a small range of movement adjustment that can be made on the handlebar clamps - after a tip they can go slightly off kilter.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Wicky wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:39 pm There's also a small range of movement adjustment that can be made on the handlebar clamps - after a tip they can go slightly off kilter.
Yes, I noticed this, but sadly it's the whole thing that's misaligned, not just the bars - there's a small groove in the top clamp near the steering stem nut (no idea why - maybe for precisely this reason?) and I can see that this groove isn't quite central when I'm riding.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I think the groove is for water drainage.

but I would do what Tony has outlined. have to do it on the off road bikes afer every crash and it sorts them out.... but if the impact was enough to bend the forks I would also be worried that the bottom yoke could be damaged. When I had my crash the forks were well and truly bent, so I replaced the bottom yoke just to be sure.
AMcQ
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

YES!! This has done the trick. I don't understand because I tried this at least twice way back in 2017 after I'd repaired the bike, but I must not have had the mudguard bolts loosened as well as the lower tree bolts.

To use a cliche it feels like a new bike! Amazing how much difference maybe 3/4 inch of handlebar misalignment makes to the comfort and the bike feeling 'right'. And can't believe I've put 30,000 miles on it with it crooked like that!

Thank you Mr tony.mon!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:25 pm

YES!! This has done the trick. I don't understand because I tried this at least twice way back in 2017 after I'd repaired the bike, but I must not have had the mudguard bolts loosened as well as the lower tree bolts.

To use a cliche it feels like a new bike! Amazing how much difference maybe 3/4 inch of handlebar misalignment makes to the comfort and the bike feeling 'right'. And can't believe I've put 30,000 miles on it with it crooked like that!

Thank you Mr tony.mon!
Good to hear you've sorted it out at last :clap:

Yes, good advice Tony :clap:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Glad it's sorted.
It's amazing how stiff the mudguard is, even thin carbon ones, and they add resistance if you try to straighten them without loosening the mg first.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.