Late model dash bulbs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRsquid

Late model dash bulbs

Post by VTRsquid »

Had a quick squiz at the back of my 06 dash cluster last time and did not see any bulb holders.
Am i to assume the cluster needs to be split or am i being a tard.
Also what bulbs? T5 t10?
MacV2

Re: Late model dash bulbs

Post by MacV2 »

Late clocks...
late clocks.jpg
Compared to early clocks...
early clocks.jpg
On the early the row of 4 grey plugs with wire coming out are the bulb holders, in this case the stand, hi beam, nutral light ect The other ones are for the illumination bulbs...

I assume that the late modle clocks have the same just hidden under the panel...Maybe thy decided to make it more waterproof because of the LCD section...

Strangley on the fiche it only shows one bulb for the late clocks... https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 01/2/11482

So you would have to split the case for access & find out how many there are...It cant be just 1 ? Can it...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

The part number for the bulb(s) - 35505SA5003 - seems to be for the bulb plus the bulb holder as a complete unit, for some reason:

The late model addendum in the workshop manual says, for the instrument bulbs:

Instrument light: 14V – 1.4W x 3
Turn signal indicator: 14V - 1.4W x 2
High beam indicator: 14V - 1.4W
Neutral indicator: 14V - 1.4W
Oil pressure indicator: 14V - 1.4W

Presumably these are capless/wedge bulbs. What's with the 14V?? Never heard of this.

And on disassembly it says:

Last edited by jchesshyre on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Thanks guys thats awesome, but a pain in the neck too. I might have to split it one day soon and see what we are dealing with, and post pics lol. Mac.. how do you know they are t10?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTRsquid wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 am Thanks guys thats awesome, but a pain in the neck too. I might have to split it one day soon and see what we are dealing with, and post pics lol. Mac.. how do you know they are t10?

Cos thats what I put in mine, from pics T5 dont look right...But thats on an F old style clocks, not done the dash on me F2...

T5... https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... sacat=6030

T10...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-T10-W5W- ... WVfLIzegNg

The T10's is what Ive used in the past, T5's whilst they seem same fit they look to long...
Last edited by MacV2 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Ok cheers. I'll split it at some stage to see. They all work but want to put leds in so i dont have to squint as hard lol.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I don't know if I'm spewing bollox here, but is there any extent to which instrument clusters designed for incandescent bulbs (and their heating properties) might suffer from condensation build-up if fitted with LEDs?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:20 am I don't know if I'm spewing bollox here, but is there any extent to which instrument clusters designed for incandescent bulbs (and their heating properties) might suffer from condensation build-up if fitted with LEDs?
Mine haven't...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

In a word, no.
They don't produce enough heat when air is flowing past them to dissipate meaningful amounts of moisture.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:21 pm In a word, no.
They don't produce enough heat when air is flowing past them to dissipate meaningful amounts of moisture.
But they're sealed by a rubber stopper inside the instrument cluster, why would air be flowing past them?

I was surprised by how hot the bulbs are when they're on when I was looking at mine the other day - too hot to hold by a long way.

Could've sworn I once read that clocks were designed to work like this re. condensation.