what the actual fuk

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
KermitLeFrog

Re: what the actual fuk

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I had a Suzuki outboard that was running like shjit. I tried everything. Eventually I pulled the carbs. They were immaculate. PERFECTLY clean as far as I could see. However, I took them to pieces, cleaned them and blew everything through with compressed air. Got them back together and the thing ran like clockwork.

It must have been a miniscule piece of something I couldn't see.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

Are the in line filters NEW ? . Maybe remove them completely and try again , could have been contaminated from the work done on the fuel tank ! If pulling the choke improved the problem, then it sounds like fuel supply problems !
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

My bike did that when the diaphragm in the fuel petcock was torn.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:39 am
I'd use a small fffp, fffp, fffp, garden sprayer with petrol in it.
What is a small fffp, fffp, fffp, :?:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

when just sitting on the stand it revs fine..iv had different lines on it, iv had a different tank lifted straight of a running bike and still no change.

i had both sets of carbs of and cleaned yet again and they are clean, i even tried swapping the innards from both sets over and no change, fuel filters are new and clear, with no filters fitted its the same, the tank filter is also clean, iv had every single connection on the loom removed, changed ecu.coils,battery etc just incase but till the same but it doesnt feel electrical, its more a laggy feeling and the choke being pulled helping points to fuel..

its worse on a constant throttle. right at the bottom its fine, wide open its clean flying but the 80% in the middle is so bad you thing its about to stop and get pushed home..

who knows,

iv a complete fuel system inc tank il try tomorrow from a bike thats being ridden here so i know 100% its working
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I saw on the fb group that the one thing you haven't swapped is the ignitor box - will you try using the one off the bike tmrw? Although the choke helping suggests fuelling, I have recently learnt from a book I'm reading that ignition and fuelling are interrelated in that a rich mixture is easier to ignite and can disguise an ignition problem, and vice versa. So you could have a weak spark for some reason which is helped by richening the mixture with the choke.

Have you also tried different HT leads and caps (I've slightly lost track of what you have and haven't tried!)?

...having said all this, the fact that it runs OK at full whack suggests that ignition is alright...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Has an airleak crept in somehow involving the airbox / carb seating / choke with the change of tank?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:14 pm

Chris.
:lol: :lol: You obviously don't have green fingers Chris :lol: :lol:

It's the noise a small garden sprayer makes when you squirt it :lol:

Sorry, I knew what I meant.. Or did I :lol:

I've been reading through this again & I had an issue very similar to this about a year ago & I did the exact same thing as you Fab.

It was ok at small revs & high revs but no middle. I changed everything like you've done but no change. I'd ordered new plugs & whilst waiting for them to arrive I changed them for a known :roll: good set plugs which I carry in my bagster.

No change, but in my head I'd eliminated that it was a plug issue.

Following day I was still on here asking for help, just like you. Then I hear the postman with the new plugs arriving. 10 minutes later it's running like a charm again.

It was the plugs after all that faf.

I'll never trust a used plug again for fault finding :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Hi fab, I found the post I did years back :roll: feck me where does the time go :thumbup:

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39853
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:48 am
sirch345 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:14 pm

Chris.
:lol: :lol: You obviously don't have green fingers Chris :lol: :lol:

It's the noise a small garden sprayer makes when you squirt it :lol:

Sorry, I knew what I meant.. Or did I :lol:
A very good description now you've explained it :thumbup:

You're right though gardening is not really my thing, more the wife's,

Thanks for the reply Vara :D

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

the straw that broke the camels back arrived tonight.

first of all. i now own my yellow bike back again. the guy who bought it took a shine to me Aprilia and after a chat pleased to say old yellow is back with me. so

iv a perfect storm for parts to try.

so swapped carbs etc over from the yellow one to the blue one and went the other way. fired up the yellow one and went for a spin. its flying.

fired the blue one up and get as far as the end of the street. before it was at least running tho like sh1t but now it wont start after a few splutters and coughs...

toys outa the pram doesnt cover it... so the bodyworks off and put away and its fuked in the corner in the shed at the bottom of the garden were it will stay until i decide how to get away from it as far as i can :clap: :clap: :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:11 pm the straw that broke the camels back arrived tonight.

first of all. i now own my yellow bike back again. the guy who bought it took a shine to me Aprilia and after a chat pleased to say old yellow is back with me. so

iv a perfect storm for parts to try.

so swapped carbs etc over from the yellow one to the blue one and went the other way. fired up the yellow one and went for a spin. its flying.

fired the blue one up and get as far as the end of the street. before it was at least running tho like sh1t but now it wont start after a few splutters and coughs...

toys outa the pram doesnt cover it... so the bodyworks off and put away and its fuked in the corner in the shed at the bottom of the garden were it will stay until i decide how to get away from it as far as i can :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm really pleased for you Rob you have your old bike back, something to give you a bit of a much deserved lift after all the aggro you've had. I know only recently you were saying how much you wished you hadn't sold it. That has to be a result in itself :clap: :clap:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

yeah Chris at least it keeps me on the road and its going well... somethings gona give with the other one :eek2 ..
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Post up some pictures of the plugs Fab, we should see evidence of some issue or other :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

il dig the plugs out at some stage, all three sets lol