Header heat protection.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
E.Marquez

Header heat protection.

Post by E.Marquez »

I like the look of the clean steel exhaust tubing, I really do, even better I like ceramic coated header pipes..... But my experience with header coating from two supposed reputable shops has been dismal, and my use of standard and common resin impregnated fiberglass header wrap less then good as well. With discoloration, glass fluffing off, vibration and abrasion damage easily..
Many are familiar with resin impregnated fiberglass header wrap.... and most that have used it hate it at least a little for the reasons or others I mentioned above.

Good news, I have a new source Im using for wiring sheathing.. They supply the little guy to Aerospace, to Military Air Forces and race car teams with unlimited budgets .
Company is called TechFlex https://www.techflex.com/ and they have a product called Volcano Wrap> https://www.techflex.com/high-temperature/volcano-wrap
VOLCANO WRAP (VW) is made from continuous filament basalt fiber and is engineered for protection from temperatures 1,500°F. When wrapped around exhaust pipes, the unique construction creates attractive and durable finished product.

Volcano Wrap is 25% stronger and provides a 300°F increase in temperature protection over fiberglass wrap. The product is very rugged, and will not exhibit any vibration damage over long periods of use.

The volcanic rock fiber wrap is easy to install and will provide years of protection and good looks.
volcano  wrap.jpg
volcano wrap.jpg (71.71 KiB) Viewed 3204 times

I have ordered some and some stainless steel bands to install and see if I like it.

I'm sure the "It will rot your pipes" comments will crop up. a response in advance.
I used standard resin impregnated fiberglass header wrap for 4 years on my first VTR, I had those headers ceramic coated later so unwrapped to send in..after unwrapping them, they had no observable damage, corrosion issues at all. Now that's here in the US, in a state that does not treat streets with chemicals except for a few days in the winter months when we might have black ice..Im not riding those few days.
And I ride in a US state that likely sees less raining weather days then many in other US states, or places outside the US. .So that might make a difference in my results vs yours.

My Volcano wrap should be here today, and my personal workday, Sunday is coming up fast ...so hopefully it'll get installed then.
My goal is to keep heat away from the radiator hose, and oil cooler, To lessen the radiated heat to the motor and radatores in general.
And on the rear header, keep heat away from the shock and shock linkage.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez

Re: Header heat protection.

Post by E.Marquez »

Volcano Wrap arrived, 25 ft roll
IMG_E0616.JPG
it weighs a bit more than I expected coming in at 1.3
pounds.

In the scheme of life 1.3 pounds on a street bike is not that big a deal

on a track bike you have to weigh the benefits to the detractors to decide
For me keeping the heat where I want it and away from things I don’t want it on it’s worth a couple of pounds

I’ll use 6 stainless steel bands to secure the wrap inplace
IMG_E0618.JPG
So I used most of the whole roll, about 24 of 25 feet.
Overlapping 1/2 width in most places going down to 1/3 overlap on the bends for a better wrap.
I did use all 6 stainless steel bands I ordered and the wrap absolutely secured in place. The wrap however, due to the nature of this kind of material, a wrap it tends to fray if not secured better.

So I used stainless steel safety wire to double wrap in addition to the stainless steel bands
IMG_E0620.JPG
Header wrap regardless of type used may not work in very wet riding areas like common in the UK, I honestly don't know. My closest personal experience is header wrap in used in Oregon a US state that is also known as "The Pacific Northwet" a play on words due to all the ran we get there. For the 2 years I had header wrap on a motorcycle header in Oregon, I observed no unusual corrosion issues when the wrap was removed from the stainless steel header tubing. Maybe the issue of several rusting with header wrap only happens on plain carbon steel headers?
Post event services

Total Rider
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'm very tempted to give this a go.
My current solution to keep the heat off the shock is to use a shock sock, but they scorch quite badly on the SP2 and I need a new one every year.

The front downpipe is a disgrace, and covering it up seems a good idea.

What did the wrap cost?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:29 pm I'm very tempted to give this a go.
My current solution to keep the heat off the shock is to use a shock sock, but they scorch quite badly on the SP2 and I need a new one every year.

What did the wrap cost? Did you use 1" or 2" wide?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:35 pm

Never mind. Just found 15 feet of the 1" wide with 10 stainless bands for less than 14 gb£ so ordered it.
That'll be enough for the rear downpipe.
It'll be a game to get to though, fairings and system off.
Might do it at mac's workshop day unless I get bored and do it before.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Never mind. Just found 15 feet of the 1" wide with 10 stainless bands for less than 14 gb£ so ordered it.
What brand and type did you buy?
If the standard fiberglass stuff...return it it sh1t....falls apart, flakes off does not handle vibrations well at all.

I used 2" wide on mine and 23.5ft to do what you see above.
The 25" roll of Volcano Wrap was $25 USD
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

E.Marquez wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 pm
tony.mon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:41 pm
What brand and type did you buy?
If the standard fiberglass stuff...return it, stuff is sh1t....falls apart, flakes off does not handle vibrations well at all.

I used 2" wide on mine and 23.5ft to do what you see above.
The 25" roll of Volcano Wrap was $25 USD
Post event services

Total Rider
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's volcano wrap.
It's cheap, so if it doesn't work out, no biggie.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

E.Marquez wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:08 pm
Neat job with the wrapping :clap:

Chris.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:26 pm
E.Marquez wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:08 pm
Neat job with the wrapping :clap:

Chris.
Thanks Chris.

And for all incase I did not mention it WEAR GLOVES when wrapping unless you like waiting several days for the fiber slivers to work themselves out of your skin. :oops:

I thought self....."Its not fiberglass wrap.... no need for gloves"....... Now Im thinking "Self, your a fecking moron"

Day three, most have worked out now.... :mrgreen:
Post event services

Total Rider
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

E.Marquez wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:08 pm
And for all incase I did not mention it WEAR GLOVES when wrapping unless you like waiting several days for the fiber slivers to work themselves out of your skin. :oops:

I thought self....."Its not fiberglass wrap.... no need for gloves"....... Now Im thinking "Self, your a fecking moron"

Day three, most have worked out now.... :mrgreen:
That's well worth knowing, thanks for the tip Erik :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I only need the 1" wide stuff to cover the short rear header on the SP, that, hopefully, will prevent some of the heat transfer into the shock.
The ebay seller promised 10 stainless straps but only sent 5 but is sending the other 5 after I complained.

If easy to wrap I might get the remainder in 2" wide volcano wrap to wrap the remainder, which is why I wanted the spare ties.
That should give me enough to tie every few inches.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:36 pm I only need the 1" wide stuff to cover the short rear header on the SP, that, hopefully, will prevent some of the heat transfer into the shock.
The ebay seller promised 10 stainless straps but only sent 5 but is sending the other 5 after I complained.

If easy to wrap I might get the remainder in 2" wide volcano wrap to wrap the remainder, which is why I wanted the spare ties.
I'll wear gloves👌
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:36 pm I only need the 1" wide stuff to cover the short rear header on the SP, that, hopefully, will prevent some of the heat transfer into the shock.

The steel bands give me fits.. The ones I've used and seen are a type lock with a steel ball..
steel wraps.jpg
On compressible stuff like hoses or hose overwrap they work fine.. but on non compressible stuff like say vacano wrap over a steel tube, the small back travel the steel lock ball makes to lock up, leaves the band looser than i want on the wrap.
Post event services

Total Rider
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

^ I use hose clamps