Help & Advice

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: Help & Advice

Post by tony.mon »

By the way, leave the unused vac tap tail easy to find, as you'll use them both when you come to balance the carbs once they're back together.
A golf tee works well as a bung, or a 5mm or 6mm caphead with a touch of silicon on the threads.

On the other one, which goes to the vacuum operated fuel tap, you need to put in a tee piece and seal off the unused spur.
That gives you two vac lines to plug your balance guage into.

Plug and play, balance whenever you like without having to take the tank off.
Getting to the adjuster with the tank on takes a bit of practice, though...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Awesome 8)
Beef

Post by Beef »

Has anyone any idea what the Keihin part no is for the float valve? Allen’s Performance were not very helpful on the phone, I’ve sent over pictures of my float valve in my verniers so they can see the dimensions and still nothing after a week!

I could get them from Honda but at £24 each I’d rather shove wasps up my butt than be ripped off like that!!!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

These guys might be of help finding the actual Keihin part number : http://www.sudco.com/ :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Beef

Post by Beef »

Whilst I am waiting for my carb parts, I thought I’d have a look at my TPS setting (even though it was plugged in)...... it was on 865! Maybe a previous owner noticed how rough it was low down & noticed it was better unplugged so left it that way?! Anyway, I had to remove the little metal sleeves in the elongated holes to get the reading to drop to 435. Next job is to check the loom from plug to ECU.......
Beef

Post by Beef »

First track day is 14 Apr, so I need to get the manual CCT’s fitted. Due to lack of time, I’m not gonna get the flywheel off to get lightened. If all goes well on 14th, that’ll be the next job. I got my tuned & serviced forks back from Roger - I cant wait to try them out!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Beef wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:28 pm I had to remove the little metal sleeves in the elongated holes to get the reading to drop to 435. Next job is to check the loom from plug to ECU.......
There is a better way as those metal sleeves are in place to keep from over tightening the bolts and cracking the TPS sender (as it is just plastic)
If you bend one of the metal tabs on the carb you can get the reading where you need it and still retain the metal spacers in the TPS :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks Hawk, but it’s done now - I was aware what they were there for, I just applied a bit of caution when I tightened them up :thumbup:

Looking at putting the MCCT’s on soon, what’s the score with the head cover gaskets - are they re-usable or should I just get a pair? I just don’t want something else hanging around unused!! :?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The black cam cover gaskets are reusable - just a smidgen of silcone and care when putting them back on. And don't overdo torquing the cam cover bolts as they can easily snap.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks Wicky
Beef

Post by Beef »

OK, today I tested the looms continuity for the TPS from the plug at the carb to the ECU - all good so hopefully I’ll see an improvement when I Colin it in.
I also fitted the rear MCCT, very straightforward using the guide on this forum, I’ll fit the other tomorrow.
Hoping to have it all back together by the end of the day & maybe even fire her up.
I’ll try her out next Sunday then I have a month to get the lightened flywheel done.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Image Image

Bottom plug is rear pot, both carbs had 180 jets, I have put a 182 in rear now.
What is the recommended plug for a Storm on track?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Cant be done that way. Iridium plugs don't show the results like a standard plug does.
Each storm is different and the can or system, air filter etc all make a difference.
Why not set it up on a dyno?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Time - Something I don’t have!
I don’t know anywhere near me either that are willing and helpful enough to be interested in getting my bike set up! Previous experience is most operators want to take your money, give you a chart and send you on your way.