What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzer

Re: What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Post by buzzer »

As an aside from working on the Ducati.... I have been busy doing a job on my Harley V-Rod today...I changed the oil and filter and in doing that took the opportunity to check on the timing bolt in the engine that can come loose on some bikes, which wrecks the engine!  nice and easy job, just drain the oil and remove the alternator cover which comes off easily.  I checked the torque of the bolt before I removed it and it was tight...  However to be on the safe side I removed it and cleaned both the internal thread and the bolt, and used some high strength thread lock on there as advised by the factory...

Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Loving the small details like the frame finishers on the Duke, excellent work all 'round Sir!
Insufferable halfwit.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Thats one HUGE looking engine :eek2 :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:50 pm Thats one HUGE looking engine :eek2 :clap:
it is! its a 1250 that was designed by Porsche for Harley... probably the best engine they have ever made, and quite powerful at 125 BHP... but the Harley traditionalists didn't like it :lol:

None Ducati this time, but with lockdown still in place I helped a mate out who needed some brake calliper pistons for a Norton Commando he is rebuilding...

I made two out of stainless steel for him as the originals were pitted quite badly... took a while to grind a tool to the correct angles and get the speed of the lathe right to get a nice finish, but I got there in the end...

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

This is a fantastic thread. I am SO impressed with the people who have the skills and persistence to do this sort of stuff. Not VTR related here is another similar thread on another forum.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/sho ... 7624-Rs500

Mating a Suzuki RG500 and an Aprilia RS250. For the stinkwheel lovers amongst us.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:05 pm This is a fantastic thread. I am SO impressed with the people who have the skills and persistence to do this sort of stuff. Not VTR related here is another similar thread on another forum.

Mating a Suzuki RG500 and an Aprilia RS250. For the stinkwheel lovers amongst us.
thanks for that; incredible project!!!!

P.S. FWIW, here is a Canadian company that has been active in doing such builds for some years now: http://www.alienracing.net/; in case anyone wants to have a look
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:19 pm As an aside from working on the Ducati.... I have been busy doing a job on my Harley V-Rod today...I changed the oil and filter and in doing that took the opportunity to check on the timing bolt in the engine that can come loose on some bikes, which wrecks the engine!  nice and easy job, just drain the oil and remove the alternator cover which comes off easily.  I checked the torque of the bolt before I removed it and it was tight...  However to be on the safe side I removed it and cleaned both the internal thread and the bolt, and used some high strength thread lock on there as advised by the factory...

Another bike clean enough to eat your dinner off 8) :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:22 am
fabiostar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:50 pm Thats one HUGE looking engine :eek2 :clap:
it is! its a 1250 that was designed by Porsche for Harley... probably the best engine they have ever made, and quite powerful at 125 BHP... but the Harley traditionalists didn't like it :lol:

None Ducati this time, but with lockdown still in place I helped a mate out who needed some brake calliper pistons for a Norton Commando he is rebuilding...

I made two out of stainless steel for him as the originals were pitted quite badly... took a while to grind a tool to the correct angles and get the speed of the lathe right to get a nice finish, but I got there in the end...

Good work :clap:
I wondered how you got the smooth clean finish on the pistons. You friend should be over the moon,

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:05 pm This is a fantastic thread. I am SO impressed with the people who have the skills and persistence to do this sort of stuff. Not VTR related here is another similar thread on another forum.

Thanks Kermit for posting that link, what a great looking bike 8)
mik_str wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:41 pm
P.S. FWIW, here is a Canadian company that has been active in doing such builds for some years now: http://www.alienracing.net/; in case anyone wants to have a look
Thanks Micky for that link as well :thumbup:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

That is rather amazing too. Has he ever done a write up on after the tune and how it rides or is it just a show piece?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Pete.L wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:39 am

That is rather amazing too. Has he ever done a write up on after the tune and how it rides or is it just a show piece?

Pete.l
The original build thread is here https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/sho ... S500-Build

But it has no photos. Bike running here:
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:23 pm
Pete.L wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:39 am

Pete.l
The original build thread is here https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/sho ... S500-Build

But it has no photos. Bike running here:
carbon fibre everywhere (icing on the cake!) :) Would love to know the weight and dyno stats; a definite giant-killer!!!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Thanks Ian :thumbup:
Gotta luv a bit of carbon and blended in with all the modern trick bits that's got to be a bit of a weapon
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I've only ridden small 2 strokers, nothing bigger than an old X7, I'd love to try something like that. Especially with modern tires, frame and suspenders
8)
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Pete.L wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:08 am Thanks Ian :thumbup:
Gotta luv a bit of carbon and blended in with all the modern trick bits that's got to be a bit of a weapon
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I've only ridden small 2 strokers, nothing bigger than an old X7, I'd love to try something like that. Especially with modern tires, frame and suspenders
8)
I raced a few TZ350s. Started on a twin shock model and finished with a monoshock F model. Using slicks in Oz and treaded tyres in the UK. They had between 60 to 70 HP at the crank but only weighed 115kg. They made decent power between about 8 and 11.5k pulling (just) from 6k with an over-rev to 12k. There was nothing superfluous on them. No battery or electrics (push start), no air filters, dry clutch. Premix. Cooling was controlled by how many strips of duct tape you put over the rad (first thing to be chucked out was the thermostat). So much fun. Like so many bikes I wish I had kept mine, they are worth a few bob now.
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

buzzer wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:22 am

That's a cracking finish you've got on the stainless, I always struggle with that. Nice to see a 'proper' micrometer too, none of this new fangled digital stuff! 😊
Insufferable halfwit.