What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzer

Re: What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Post by buzzer »

Yesterday I rebuilt all the hydraulics. I replaced the seals on the rear caliper as this was seized solid and I had to use some penetrating oil to free the pistons.

The calipers came out nice... My bead blaster now gives a really nice finish, that with a coat of ACF-50 keeps its shine. I was never happy with the finish until I picked up a tip from the guy who blasts my big bits... he said my problem was I was working at too high a pressure, and that was shattering the tiny glass beads! sure enough, I turned the pressure right down and the difference is clear!

I may try an anodising kit in the future after the success of the zinc plating!

Also made a wheel spacer to replace the speedo drive which I am not going to use.

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I know its a bit old school… just like me 😁 but I love the look of a mega on a bike… plan was to make a pair but I had trouble finding anyone here who could roll a cone, so I ended up modifying a couple of cheap stainless silencers I bought off Ebay. the removable baffles will satisfy the MOT man 😂and they are now re-packable

Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

That looks the absolute nuts nuts to me. Top man love it!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

my god man, you are talented! :thumbup:
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Reverse Cone Mega's take me back, I still have a soft spot for them :D

Good work :clap:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:45 pm Reverse Cone Mega's take me back, I still have a soft spot for them :D

Good work :clap:
buzzer wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:16 am Yesterday I rebuilt all the hydraulics. I replaced the seals on the rear caliper as this was seized solid and I had to use some penetrating oil to free the pistons.

The calipers came out nice... My bead blaster now gives a really nice finish, that with a coat of ACF-50 keeps its shine. I was never happy with the finish until I picked up a tip from the guy who blasts my big bits... he said my problem was I was working at too high a pressure, and that was shattering the tiny glass beads! sure enough, I turned the pressure right down and the difference is clear!

I may try an anodising kit in the future after the success of the zinc plating!

Also made a wheel spacer to replace the speedo drive which I am not going to use.

Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Who would have thought having the pressure too high would have made such a difference. Now you've passed on the advice from your blaster guy it certainly makes sense, the calipers look fantastic,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

the weather has been crap for a few days, so some garage time :D made some ends for the swinging arm as I didn't like the originals and they were marked... also made some new stainless bolts. may wheel it out the garage tomorrow

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Got the bike out today into the daylight for the first time in months... Have to say my Iphone takes great pictures! Next job is to start the wiring... its a job I actually love doing, making a loom from scratch. here is my collection of wire from meany years! there is some new stuff in there as well that I got from some newish cars in the vehicle dismantlers last year. Its just too expensive to buy all the colours you need new, its a great source of wire!

alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I respect your skills buzzer
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Credit to you for intending to be making your own wiring loom. That is one big bundle of wire :wink:

Do you have a local supplier for all the connectors etc you will be needing :?:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

buzzer wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:38 pm Got the bike out today into the daylight for the first time in months... Have to say my Iphone takes great pictures! Next job is to start the wiring... its a job I actually love doing, making a loom from scratch. here is my collection of wire from meany years! there is some new stuff in there as well that I got from some newish cars in the vehicle dismantlers last year. Its just too expensive to buy all the colours you need new, its a great source of wire!

Coming together very nicely!!!!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

She's starting to look pretty now. What are you planning re the airbox?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:28 am She's starting to look pretty now. What are you planning re the airbox?
I would love to use an air box... but there is simply no room under the tank :( so I will used some bellmouths and foam filters...
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I have been pondering how to switch the radiator fan on and off as I am no longer running with an ECU... I popped around to my mate yesterday and he suggested using one of these units which is adjustable for temperature. he uses them on factory machinery. I have put the thermocouple in the original sensor (snug fit, but used some heat sink Grease used on computer CPU's) and some Araldite to hold it in place. Its 12V, you can adjust the temperature and it has a 20 amp relay on the board which is more than enough for the fan... tested it today in some boiling water and it works well! The unit is very cheap at around £5! :mrgreen:

Also made a good start on the wiring.. I know a lot of people struggle with this but I find it easy, enjoyable and quite therapeutic! Sad I know! I start by making a drawing of each circuit on a page, and wire that circuit on the bike. As I go along I write the wire colours on the diagram for future reference. Use pipe cleaners to hold the wire bundles together till all the circuits are in place. then run them through sheathing , and then crimp/solder the ends on!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:23 pm I have been pondering how to switch the radiator fan on and off as I am no longer running with an ECU... I popped around to my mate yesterday and he suggested using one of these units which is adjustable for temperature. he uses them on factory machinery. I have put the thermocouple in the original sensor (snug fit, but used some heat sink Grease used on computer CPU's) and some Araldite to hold it in place. Its 12V, you can adjust the temperature and it has a 20 amp relay on the board which is more than enough for the fan... tested it today in some boiling water and it works well! The unit is very cheap at around £5! :mrgreen:

Also made a good start on the wiring.. I know a lot of people struggle with this but I find it easy, enjoyable and quite therapeutic! Sad I know! I start by making a drawing of each circuit on a page, and wire that circuit on the bike. As I go along I write the wire colours on the diagram for future reference. Use pipe cleaners to hold the wire bundles together till all the circuits are in place. then run them through sheathing , and then crimp/solder the ends on!

That's an interesting idea for switching the radiator fan on and off, very handy having a mate like that :)

You're making this wiring job sound all too easy :wink: :lol:

Keep up the good work, just remember to stop for Christmas :)

Chris.