Water and oil temperature

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freeridenick

Water and oil temperature

Post by freeridenick »

I'm looking at fitting a water temperature gauge. KOSO do a neat one that looks easy to fit. Question is do I fit one with two temp senders and get oil as well as coolant temp or is it not worth it?
KermitLeFrog

Re: Water and oil temperature

Post by KermitLeFrog »

On old race bikes we used to remove the thermostat. It was one more thing to go wrong. But, nowadays they are a lot more reliable and have always been a nice thing to have. Faster warm up, no need to blank the radiator for different conditions etc...

If your cooling system is marginal it will be so in stop start traffic. Not relevant for a race or track bike unless you're blanking off radiators to reduce drag.

Personally can't see the point. Nice bling though.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Martinz

Post by Martinz »

Nick

Ive got the KOSO digital Water temp gauge on mine. Works well and the sensor that came with it is exactly the same thread as the OEM honda one that plugs into the thermostat.

M and P sell that Oil temp gauge that replaces the oil filler cap.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Thanks for that Martinz. Good to know.

I take your point Kermit. I've no problem on track and there's a warning light if it gets too high. It's more a case of knowing what it runs at. Maybe it needs larger rads, maybe not. I just don't know.

I'm running a larger oil cooler and looking at another, slightly larger one. I don't want the oil too cool.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

freeridenick wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:57 am Thanks for that Martinz. Good to know.

I take your point Kermit. I've no problem on track and there's a warning light if it gets too high. It's more a case of knowing what it runs at. Maybe it needs larger rads, maybe not. I just don't know.

I'm running a larger oil cooler and looking at another, slightly larger one. I don't want the oil too cool.
Yes, that makes sense. There's an optimum temp for both coolant and oil. Just a warning light would not be good enough for me.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

I opted for this on mine..

I used a " sandwich" between the engine and filter to install the senders. It´s needed to fit the engine cover to size due to the increased length of the oil filter.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv long since junked the thermostate, takes a bit longer to heat up but that i can live with. one less thing to break..

as for temps. away in the back of my mind i seem to rememeber reading on a spec sheet for race vtr engines the temp thats needed is 78 degrees. il have to look and see if my memory has failed me but near sure thats the golden figure.. 8O

people see the water temp upto what they think is good to go but the oil temp takes a lot longer even when the water temp says ring its neck. an old engine builder whos had his hands inside mr Dunlops engines all his life once told me it takes a good 15 mins to get the oil and the engine internals uptp operating temps.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Cheers Fabio, that would be useful.

I think I'm edging closer to fitting both oil and water temperature sensors but where do I mount the oil one?

I've Seen the sandwich type Felix has used but that may not fit inside my belly pan. I can't use the ones that replace the filler cap because I need to lockwire it so where else could I fit it?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The simplest way would be drill into the crankcase block and tap for a sensor.
Another option would be to get the oil cooler lines remade with a sensor tee in line.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:37 pm The simplest way would be drill into the crankcase block and tap for a sensor.
Another option would be to get the oil cooler lines remade with a sensor tee in line.
Not sure if the tee line in the cooler lines will offer a reliable measure , this bike has two oil pumps, one for the engine, and other for moving the oil to the cooler.
If you only want water and oil temperature, I would use the existing hole from the original sensor for the water temperature, and the one used for the oil pressure light switch. ( You lose the oil light, but you have the gauge..)
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

felix barrao wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:22 pm If you only want water and oil temperature, I would use the existing hole from the original sensor for the water temperature, and the one used for the oil pressure light switch. ( You lose the oil light, but you have the gauge..)
I was thinking about this too. I have done a little research and there are dual pressure and temperature sensors available. I haven't found where to buy them yet but they would fit where the oil pressure sensor is. Problem solved.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

felix barrao wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:06 am I opted for this on mine..

I used a " sandwich" between the engine and filter to install the senders. It´s needed to fit the engine cover to size due to the increased length of the oil filter.

One of the best and neatest cockpit layouts I have seen 8)
I like the tyre air pressure gauge :D

Out of interest, does right-hand the fork leg hit the oil and temp gauges on full lock :?: Or are you using steering stop spacers with your handlebar conversion :?:

Chris.
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Thank you.
I use small steering stop spacers to avoid hitting the handlebar against the fairing, ( not modified fairing), the gauges are not a problem by itself.I have changed now the white cheap volt meter for a black one ( like the pressure and temp oil)
The TPMS is a Chinese aliexpress plug and play system, perfect reading at day and night.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i knew i had seen it somewhere in the back of my mind. on the spec sheets for the race mori engines from Revolution racing the operating temp is indeed 72-74 degrees.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:18 pm iv long since junked the thermostate, takes a bit longer to heat up but that i can live with. one less thing to break..

as for temps. away in the back of my mind i seem to rememeber reading on a spec sheet for race vtr engines the temp thats needed is 78 degrees. il have to look and see if my memory has failed me but near sure thats the golden figure.. 8O

people see the water temp upto what they think is good to go but the oil temp takes a lot longer even when the water temp says ring its neck. an old engine builder whos had his hands inside mr Dunlops engines all his life once told me it takes a good 15 mins to get the oil and the engine internals uptp operating temps.
My VFR800 has a digital temperature gauge and 78 is where it sits when running with good airflow, as that is the point at which the thermostat begins to open. I believe most Honda thermostats would operate at a similar temperature.

Your comment about the oil temperature is interesting, bikes that use an intercooler between the oil and water (usually at the oil filter boss) would seem to be the best of both worlds as the oil would always end up at leas as warm as the coolant. Or is colder better for oil???
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150