Rear shock absorber

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
felix barrao

Re: Rear shock absorber

Post by felix barrao »

Thanks, Roger, very helpful information, and very helpful guy, in fact he told in the mail " if you have doubt, call me at any time " :thumbup: A pleasure to deal with people like this.
Thanks again !
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

Just about finished getting my forks painted. Hopefully then get them sent off to be Rogered!!
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

My new YSS rear shock absorber installed in February died today..
Arrived home and I ave seen a big amount of white smoke coming from the lower part of the bike.. Very confused, I have removed the seat to see if there was a electrical problem, but not, the problem was a high amount of oil dripping from the shock absorber to the rear cilynder exhaust manifold...
Lets see how the warranty works.. :confused four months of use.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

felix barrao wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:10 pm My new YSS rear shock absorber installed in February died today..
Arrived home and I ave seen a big amount of white smoke coming from the lower part of the bike.. Very confused, I have removed the seat to see if there was a electrical problem, but not, the problem was a high amount of oil dripping from the shock absorber to the rear cilynder exhaust manifold...
Lets see how the warranty works.. :confused four months of use.
That's not good, lets hope the warranty is better than the shock has been so far.

Hopefully this is just a one off and not something that normally happens,

Chris.
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

Yea, let´s see.
I have to dismount, send to the seller, ( paid shipping, I have to say) the seller will send to the manufacturer or dealer, wait up to three weeks, they will decide if is warranty or my fault, :confused :confused and decide the result.
The seller has told me that it will be covered in warranty, but at the moment I have to dismount, install the old one, and in three weeks again, if warranty works well.
It has been a catastrophic failure, I think, check the pictures, all the clear oil on the floor is from the shock absorber.
You can see also the spill on the exhaust manifold.
Attachments
shock2.jpg
shock1.jpg
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

holy sh1t thats not good, hope it gets resolved for you :confused
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Martin (agentpineapple) had a similar experience with a Hagon shock a few years ago when we were out for a ride. I was surprised by the amount of smoke and oil on the road from a relatively small unit, obviously not talking about AP!!
:lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

The only reason I see for this high oil quantity and smoke is that the oil was expelled by the nitrogen pressure.
I have asked for a money refund instead of a new YSS, I´m not confident with the brand.
This is a real concern, what if it happends on the runway, and the oil goes to the rear wheel? Hopefully it happened arriving home, and when I stopped the bike was a big smoke quantity, and oil spilling like crazy..
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

I wonder if the rear manifold has cooked the shock......? 8O
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

It should not, standard exhaust manifold with specific rear shock for VTR-1000, if this is the case, it´s a design fault.

Any other option for a not very expensive shock absorber?
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

felix barrao wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:07 pm It should not, standard exhaust manifold with specific rear shock for VTR-1000, if this is the case, it´s a design fault.

I have a Hagon one on mine (the cheaper one without the remote adjuster...looks like the one with the remote adjuster isn't available anymore anyway) and while it won't make any lap records it's absolutely fine.

I've had it on for 40,000 miles and it's still good. They're currently £300.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

felix barrao wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:07 pm It should not, standard exhaust manifold with specific rear shock for VTR-1000, if this is the case, it´s a design fault.

Which Rear Shock ???? > viewtopic.php?f=18&t=40136&p=433445
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

YSS is now 260€ (about 229 pounds )shipped, no expensive but... the result hasn´t be fine so far. I have seen absorbers leaking with the time, but not in this way.
I thought YSS was a quality item but.. and maybe it is. This is the reason ask for personal experiences, I have read almost all shock absorber info in the forum, but no real experiences.
Definitely I will ask for a refund, will install again the old 21 years old one, ( that worked well, actually) and I will wait for some offer of a quality one.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

YSS is the cheapest of the bunch - so more value than quality. Consider investing a bit more cash to find a quality one. esp when £290 for a YSS shock is what it can cost to service/rebuild an Ohlins shock.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

No, YSS cost is 229 shipped !
Yes, I will install the original and will wait for a offer in a good quality one.
Thanks