Speedo on a parallel

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
BrianC

Re: Speedo on a parallel

Post by BrianC »

Ive checked the ron ayers site and the speed sensor seems the same across the range.

This bike was definitely a parallel import

But given the tests i did yesterday just fitting a uk spec speedo the reading seems way out.

I wonder if it already has some kind of healing device - what would it look like and where would it be?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

What's the tooth count on the sprockets compared to OEM? Perhaps it is geared differently hence why it is apparently reading off. Can you take it for spin on the road and as Tony suggests compare given rate of knots to GPS speedo on a phone.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Hello wicky

Standard sprockets - as i replaced them
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If you've got the old sprockets what's the count?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Long gone im afraid
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

BrianC wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 am
I wonder if it already has some kind of healing device - what would it look like and where would it be?
Regardless of the brand, it will be plunged in line with the speed sensor connector ..Find that as you follow the speed sensor wire up (connector should be in the large group of them just rear of the thank), and if there is a add on connector between the speed sensor one and the chassis wiring harness, you have your answer
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks guys
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can also write in those tiny circuit board ones (the size of a penny or so) behind the clocks.
it's also worth checking there.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

So eventually ive got round to checking this bike against a speedo app on my phone .

Ive fitted a uk spec speedo and as i suspected its reading very low against reallity

Ie reading less than 20 when its doing 30 on the app. In fact when its showing 30 on the app its about 30kms/hour on the speedo.

I cant see any gizmo in the wiring under the instrument panel - any ideas what i should be looking for if its had somethng added?
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Brian,my speedohealer is under the seat,have a look around for a smaller than matchbox size box.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

BrianC wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:08 am So eventually ive got round to checking this bike against a speedo app on my phone .

Ive fitted a uk spec speedo and as i suspected its reading very low against reallity

Ie reading less than 20 when its doing 30 on the app. In fact when its showing 30 on the app its about 30kms/hour on the speedo.

I cant see any gizmo in the wiring under the instrument panel - any ideas what i should be looking for if its had somethng added?
If it has a speedo correction unit it will be connected at the speed sensor connector at the rear of the tank, under the seat.. It is an inline deal...sensor to correction unit, unit to ECU
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks fellas
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Found the bugger !!!!!

Just on a whim this afternoon i took the seat off this storm with the dodgy speedo and did a bit of wire tracing and in the plastic cover where all the junction boxes are protected i found the little sod!!!!
I small black box in series with the speedo circuit - havent tested it yet with a proper mph clock but im sure the mystery is solved.

Patience eh ;) :D :D :D :D :)