Headlight issues

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Headlight issues

Post by jchesshyre »

Today I noticed that my full beam indicator light was faintly illuminated when dipped was selected. Upon investigation in a Tesco car park, the headlight connector (on the bulb) was too hot to touch and has melted slightly. The earth tang on the bulb looks oxidised and even the base of the bulb was a tiny bit melted.

Is this likely to be caused by corrosion in the block connector on the bulb, making the headlight try and find ground through the dip/full switch? I've sprayed a load of contact cleaner in the bulb connector and slid it on and off the bulb tangs a load of times in an attempt to clean it, and the problem's gone for now. I don't have the best head for electrics but I want to make sure I've nipped this in the bud, so is there anything else I should check?

While we're on this, how easy is it to open up the headlight enclosure? I noticed a fine layer of dust all over the reflector in there (the bike has 89k on it) which I'd like to clean off if possible to maximise the effectiveness of the incredibly bright headlight...
Wicky

Re: Headlight issues

Post by Wicky »

Corrosion on the bulb holder connector could well possibly account for the burning/melting of stock nylon plastic bulb holder due to the resistance leading to increase temps. Best monitor and make sure the rubber seal on the back of the headlight is on securely to keep the elements esp moisture out.

You can fit a headlight relay kit from Eager Beaver and add a non melty ceramic bulb holder to avoid switch gear and increase headlight efficiency.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiri ... _kits.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-FOR-FORD- ... 1201485213

As for dusting inside the headlight seek Inspiration from Ken Dodd and the Diddymen https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pack-Mini- ... 3270853630 and / or blast of compressed air.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 pm Today I noticed that my full beam indicator light was faintly illuminated when dipped was selected. Upon investigation in a Tesco car park, the headlight connector (on the bulb) was too hot to touch and has melted slightly. The earth tang on the bulb looks oxidised and even the base of the bulb was a tiny bit melted.

Is this likely to be caused by corrosion in the block connector on the bulb, making the headlight try and find ground through the dip/full switch? I've sprayed a load of contact cleaner in the bulb connector and slid it on and off the bulb tangs a load of times in an attempt to clean it, and the problem's gone for now. I don't have the best head for electrics but I want to make sure I've nipped this in the bud, so is there anything else I should check?

While we're on this, how easy is it to open up the headlight enclosure? I noticed a fine layer of dust all over the reflector in there (the bike has 89k on it) which I'd like to clean off if possible to maximise the effectiveness of the incredibly bright headlight...
Sounds like youve found the issue. another thing I would do to help it from happening again is add some dylectric grease to the connector as well.

if you need to replace the connector ask your local auto parts store for a H4 headlight connector
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thanks for these suggestions. I've successfully cleaned the reflector using the following tool:

If I do replce the connector, what's the best way of joining the new wires to the existing ones?
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Solder and heat shrink. Make them longer as well plus extend the running light wires. It makes it a lot easier to re-fit the fairing.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

If you really want to improve the headlight run it via a couple of relays directly back to the battery. There is just enough room. Makes a huge difference to the light output.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

+1 with what Kermit said. Cut and strip the wires solder on new connector. Dont forget to put the shrink tube on before you start twisting wires together.

I Installed a led H4 headlight bulb on mine as well. Much whiter and brighter than before... only downside was I had to leave the rubber peice off.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

This is a bloody great idea with the relays. What current rating does the wire and the relays need to be? My rudimentary knowledge tells me that 60 W / 12 V = 5 A but I don't know how much higher than this the rating should be. And did you install fuses as well? I'm guessing it's one relay for the dipped beam and one for main?

I have to do a 190-mile trip on Tuesday night so I may try and put this together this weekend. I've been reading up on how the lumen output of halogen bulbs drops exponentially with voltage so I can imagine this mod would make a real difference.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I would recommend using hefty wire directly from the battery for both the feed and the earth. From memory I used 17A wire, or maybe 20A. The thicker the wire the less voltage drop. One wire from the battery neg terminal to act as an earth from the bulb holder. Another wire from the pos terminal of the battery, split and feeding the two relays. The relays are switched using the existing wires from the controls. I didn't bother adding any fuses. I replaced the bulb with an Osram Bilux 60/55w bulb.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

The Eager Beaver kit is tempting but I think I could get the relays, ring terminals and wire for quite a lot less than £55 so will probably go down that route. Would the relays need to be weatherproof ones or would wrapping them in tape or heatshrink suffice?

I won't have time to do this before my trip on Tuesday but have bought a new bulb connector which I'll fit today as an interim measure. I definitely don't want my headlight going dodgy when I'm halfway down the A5 on Tuesday night!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Specs for the eager beaver relay kit will give you an idea of what you'll need if you source individual parts closer to home and assembly it yourself.

Yes I'd weatherproof it as much as possible with heat shrink / tape to water out as much as possible.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Wicky wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:49 pm Specs for the eager beaver relay kit will give you an idea of what you'll need if you source individual parts closer to home and assembly it yourself.

Yes I'd weatherproof it as much as possible with heat shrink / tape to water out as much as possible.
There are smaller and better relays than the auto parts store stuff.
Ask around for some Panasonic Nais 20A
DSCF3815[1].JPG
DSCF3815[1].JPG (9.73 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
and the relay base for them
250-connector-housing-lance-armlock-type-4pin-female-connector[1].JPG
250-connector-housing-lance-armlock-type-4pin-female-connector[1].JPG (16.71 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
I get them from http://www.cycleterminal.com/accessory-relays.html
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

E.Marquez wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:12 pm
Wicky wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:49 pm Specs for the eager beaver relay kit will give you an idea of what you'll need if you source individual parts closer to home and assembly it yourself.

There are smaller and better relays than the auto parts store stuff.
Ask around for some Panasonic Nais 20A DSCF3815[1].JPG

and the relay base for them
250-connector-housing-lance-armlock-type-4pin-female-connector[1].JPG

I get them from http://www.cycleterminal.com/accessory-relays.html
They look very nice.