Stage 2 Cam Valve Springs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Chris58

Stage 2 Cam Valve Springs

Post by Chris58 »

I've just came in possession of some stage 2 cams, H-beam Carrillo rods, and balanced polished crank..
I'm looking for some advice on valve springs.
I've found springs for moriwaki from Hpower, but they're very expensive for springs.
I'm thinking of buying the performance springs from webcams instead.

Any words of wisdom on this subject?
tony.mon

Re: Stage 2 Cam Valve Springs

Post by tony.mon »

The std Honda ones are pretty good, so unless you are upping the rev limit they should be ok.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

thats quite a haul to just find lol :D :D ...

im with tony on that, the honda springs seem grand for the job, i take it you will be using the normal rev ceiling ?

if your in any doubt i would be giving Roger Ditchfield a call about it,
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:40 pm thats quite a haul to just find lol :D :D ...

im with tony on that, the honda springs seem grand for the job, i take it you will be using the normal rev ceiling ?

if your in any doubt i would be giving Roger Ditchfield a call about it,
yes, I am using the normal rev ceiling. I may try to get in touch with rodger to get a bit of info from the guru himself.

Quite a haul indeed ! I found it on kijiji (canadian classifieds) guy bought everything new to make a race bike and never used it
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:00 pm The std Honda ones are pretty good, so unless you are upping the rev limit they should be ok.
Please excuse my ignorance here, and I really am ignorant about these sorts of things, but... I thought a stage 2 cam was there (along with ported heads) to make more power at higher revs. The rods to keep that part of the engine intact at those higher revs.

I realise these sorts of engines can fail in many ways but valve float and spring failure seems to be a common theme. Why fit a stage 2 cam (which in itself will stress the valve train more than stock) and keep the same rev limit? Honest question.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

Good point there. Im leaning toward better springs just in case. As you said, it is common for high reving engines to fail due to valve float. Although I do agree with tony about the stock ones be most likely capable...
I may up the revs slightly, but I will wait to see how it works out at the current red line.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I can't offer any definitive evidence, but the rev limit is very low on vee twins compared to il4's.
I measured the piston to valve clearance on the STD engine with just high comp pistons fitted, and there was loads.
So even with lumpier valves there should be enough clearance, and no real chance of valve float.

But I'm interested to hear from anyone, as I say, it's my opinion and not empirical fact.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Hi, just catching up on things & read this thread.

What's the story on the camshafts?

These are quite rare & looks as if you've quite a envious find in your possession 8)
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

Varastorm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 pm Hi, just catching up on things & read this thread.

These are quite rare & looks as if you've quite a envious find in your possession 8)
I bought them from a fella on kijiji (classified site). He said he had planed on building a race bike from parts he recieved from a previous owner, but he never did the build.
Im currently waiting on the parts... should be here Monday
Not sure if they are Moriwaki or not. He did not know!! Just said they are stage 2 cams. Custom H Beam Carillo rods, and polished balanced crank.

Anyone know if there is a way to identify moriwaki cams?
Attachments
ad_2_1544030377637.jpg
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Search "stage 2 cams" in the search box up top Chris, lots of info there :thumbup:

Here's one thread.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... a6#p456010

I have two sets of Kibblewhite springs & a set of vernier timing sprockets. All I need is camshafts :roll:

Lots of folks with parts of the jigsaw, but only a few have the complete package.

I'll swap a set of springs for the camshafts :lol: :wink: :thumbup:
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

Varastorm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:12 am Search "stage 2 cams" in the search box up top Chris, lots of info there :thumbup:

Here's one thread.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... a6#p456010

I have two sets of Kibblewhite springs & a set of vernier timing sprockets. All I need is camshafts :roll:

Lots of folks with parts of the jigsaw, but only a few have the complete package.

I'll swap a set of springs for the camshafts :lol: :wink: :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing that thread, Ive never come accoss that one.

Nice try :clap: Nothing could come between me and new bike parts lol

Although there is a set of stage 1 moris on Jauce.com... a little pricey though. Also some new yoshi ones on the french ebay...also quite expensive
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Chris58 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:47 am
Varastorm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 pm Hi, just catching up on things & read this thread.

I bought them from a fella on kijiji (classified site). He said he had planed on building a race bike from parts he recieved from a previous owner, but he never did the build.
Not sure if they are Moriwaki or not. He did not know!! Just said they are stage 2 cams. Custom H Beam Carillo rods, and polished balanced crank.

would you swap those rods for a nice kidney? low mileage with full service history lol..

regarding the mori cams i scratched my head and ended up getting the info from roger and i got a man who knows more about engines then me to measure them to confirm they were infact mori units.

the mori cams will let it hold onto power higher up but will need the mori or HRC ignition box (which i gather is the same thing) as mines not marked in anyway. but they also give a great boast through the midrange power and torgue wise. from memory mines at 78 flbs from just over 7.5k.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:33 pm
Chris58 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:47 am

would you swap those rods for a nice kidney? low mileage with full service history lol..

regarding the mori cams i scratched my head and ended up getting the info from roger and i got a man who knows more about engines then me to measure them to confirm they were infact mori units.

the mori cams will let it hold onto power higher up but will need the mori or HRC ignition box (which i gather is the same thing) as mines not marked in anyway. but they also give a great boast through the midrange power and torgue wise. from memory mines at 78 flbs from just over 7.5k.
you can get Carrillo custom rods from them. They made a custom set for me a few years back and surely still have the specs. If you want more info PM me.

also, from what I remember from Roger, the HRC and Mori boxes are not quite the same. Remember that the HRC box does NOT have a rev limiter (found that out the hard way). An Ignitech box could be the best way to go (programmable - tried two back in the day but could never get them to work, though others have)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do have an ignitech box which is very versitile.. It will definatly take some tinkering. I will have to get in touch with roger for sure to verify what they are and maybe get a few pointers.

I might take you up on that spare kidney :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

you may also want to look at RC51 (SP-1/SP-2 for our Euro friends) springs. I did some research a while back and noted said bikes use the same retainers (and cotters) as the VTR, which implies their springs should work on a VTR also. As they are designed for cams with increased lift (10.4mm IIRC) and duration (250 deg IIRC), they will be better equipped to withstand the Stage 2 cams.

If you choose to go this route, let me know, I bought some RC51 inner springs as I was looking at going down this route for my Yosh cams but decided to stay stock
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express